• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

double taxes on refinanced car through a car loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

I refinanced my leased car by an auto loan from a financial institution other than the dealership. now the dealership and the institution are both charging me taxes on the car. what should i do.

FlyingRon

You've lost me. What exactly is this transaction? Are you financing buying out the lease? Is the lease transfer (essentially the bank is buying out your existing car and leasing it to you)?

Last edited:

rkh

details of the case

I had a car leased for 3 years. I decided to buy out the car at the end of lease. when I requested for the buyout package, the dealer put the residual amount plus sales taxes (9%=calif. tax). I got a loan from a bank but the bank said I have to pay taxes on what ever is mentioned in buyout package and pay the registration fees etc. the residual was 12000, the sales tax reported from DVM rounds up to 2000$. leaving 14000$ needed to be paid to dealership. now the bank says i have to pay 0.09*14000 = 1260$ taxes as well (again) for car registration to them.

rkh

You've lost me. What exactly is this transaction? Are you financing buying out the lease? Is the lease transfer (essentially the bank is buying out your existing car and leasing it to you)?
I had a car leased for 3 years. I decided to buy out the car at the end of lease. when I requested for the buyout package, the dealer put the residual amount plus sales taxes (9%=calif. tax). I got a loan from a bank but the bank said I have to pay taxes on what ever is mentioned in buyout package and pay the registration fees etc. the residual was 12000, the sales tax reported from DVM rounds up to 2000$. leaving 14000$ needed to be paid to dealership. now the bank says i have to pay 0.09*14000 = 1260$ taxes as well (again) for car registration to them

FlyingRon

You need to confirm with the dealership that they paid the sales tax for you and then take that information to someone higher up at the bank and show it doesn't need to be paid again.

rkh

You need to confirm with the dealership that they paid the sales tax for you and then take that information to someone higher up at the bank and show it doesn't need to be paid again.
thank you for your quick response. I will run that with them.
The issue is that out of 14000$ check the bank was supposed to send to dealership they sent 12000 and withheld the tax. now the dealrship is after me saying i have to pay it in full.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
thank you for your quick response. I will run that with them.
The issue is that out of 14000$ check the bank was supposed to send to dealership they sent 12000 and withheld the tax. now the dealrship is after me saying i have to pay it in full.
Perhaps the bank doesn't want to loan you $14k?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
they already approved 14K loan for me. they said they have to pay the taxes to DMV. someone here is double taxing me iguess
Ask the bank to contact the dealership to let them know that they will be remitting the taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">