• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drowning in water softener scam.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KCMR

What is the name of your state? Pa
I'll start by saying my husband and I were very naive.

We invited someone to our home to test our water....he did. He basically told me if I loved my children and didn't want to see them die of cancer...amongst some other diseases we should buy this water purification system. We did.

The Water softener itself is from a company named Ionics. However the company that actually sells the product is named Marketlinx. We fell for the scam...had this water softener put in our house and 6,000 later it is useless. Marketlinx is now out of business. It is useless because we no longer have a maintenance agreement to upkeep the stupid thing so basically my water now is worse than it was before.

Recently I had water damage to my kitchen because the sink water purifier decided to burst.

Can we sue Marketlinx or Ionics?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Aricci said:
What is the name of your state? Pa
I'll start by saying my husband and I were very naive.

We invited someone to our home to test our water....he did. He basically told me if I loved my children and didn't want to see them die of cancer...amongst some other diseases we should buy this water purification system. We did.

The Water softener itself is from a company named Ionics. However the company that actually sells the product is named Marketlinx. We fell for the scam...had this water softener put in our house and 6,000 later it is useless. Marketlinx is now out of business. It is useless because we no longer have a maintenance agreement to upkeep the stupid thing so basically my water now is worse than it was before.

Recently I had water damage to my kitchen because the sink water purifier decided to burst.

Can we sue Marketlinx or Ionics?

**A: yes you can sue but why would you if the main company that sold you the product is out of business? Have you contacted the manufacturer?
File complaints with BBB, state consumer protection office, attorney general etc.

K

KCMR

Home...Ionics is still in business.

I really don't necessarily want to just "sue" someone. I just either want the thing maintained or REMOVED. I'd love to be able to get my money back don't get me wrong. But if I could at least get the service contract that I paid for--I'd settle for that.

I have contacted the BBB they have MANY reports about both companies. A local news station also came to my house to do a segment, "Consumer Alert" and did a story about the whole mess.

HomeGuru

Aricci said:
Home...Ionics is still in business.

**A: yes, that is why I asked you if you contacted the manufacturer.

I really don't necessarily want to just "sue" someone.

**A: that's interesting because in your post you asked, "Can we sue..."

I just either want the thing maintained or REMOVED. I'd love to be able to get my money back don't get me wrong. But if I could at least get the service contract that I paid for--I'd settle for that.

**A: then hire a plumber and remove that product.

I have contacted the BBB they have MANY reports about both companies. A local news station also came to my house to do a segment, "Consumer Alert" and did a story about the whole mess.

**A: then that gives you an idea of what you are looking at. You would have better odds at getting anything in Atlantic City.

K

KCMR

Actually people have sued Ionics and won.

I am more interested in getting them to REMOVE the thing from my house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">