• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dry Cleaners "30 day law"? - customer left computer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kellin218

What is the name of your state? California

Been looking around on the net and I cant find the answer to this. (Clearly, I cant find the right search words.) Ive never experienced this before, and I was told by a couple people its the customer's liability.

I have a small computer consulting business..

About 6-8 months ago (I forget the exact time), a client gave me a computer to install Windows 2000 on it for him. Took me the requisite two days or so to get it put together, and then I called the client and left a message. A week goes by, left another message. Some time goes by (maybe 2 months?), client calls me and apologizes, says he'll bring in the money , but doesn't. Try calling him back, get his voice mail again. I figure I've done what I can, I need to get some of my money back on the time I spent. If the client doesn't want the machine, what am I supposed to do with it? Its rather worthless as a whole machine. I took the HD out and sold it to another client who needed it, and pulled a pci card for a friend. Now, I get a call this weekend from an "intermediary" for the client saying he wants the machine. I put him off for a week, saying I had to put the machine back together. What do I do? Some links would be nice, as well.What is the name of your state?

BL

What is the name of your state? California

Been looking around on the net and I cant find the answer to this. (Clearly, I cant find the right search words.) Ive never experienced this before, and I was told by a couple people its the customer's liability.

I have a small computer consulting business..

About 6-8 months ago (I forget the exact time), a client gave me a computer to install Windows 2000 on it for him. Took me the requisite two days or so to get it put together, and then I called the client and left a message. A week goes by, left another message. Some time goes by (maybe 2 months?), client calls me and apologizes, says he'll bring in the money , but doesn't. Try calling him back, get his voice mail again. I figure I've done what I can, I need to get some of my money back on the time I spent. If the client doesn't want the machine, what am I supposed to do with it? Its rather worthless as a whole machine. I took the HD out and sold it to another client who needed it, and pulled a pci card for a friend. Now, I get a call this weekend from an "intermediary" for the client saying he wants the machine. I put him off for a week, saying I had to put the machine back together. What do I do? Some links would be nice, as well.What is the name of your state?
Why are you even talking to a "intermediary" ?

So which is it 2 1/2 months ? , or 6-8 months ?

When the client contacts you directly , tell him/her that it was considered abandoned , and that you tried to contact them to no avail ( unless of course you had their name and address or could have easily gotten it ) , and you sold it to recoup your loses.

Next time you decide to do something like this have written contract w/ it specified that if the item is left after the job finished and contacted , or not paid for within 30 days , it will be considered abandoned .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">