• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drywall damaged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troyjr76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My mom was getting a roof replaced. The first guy started and didn't finish. He just took her deposit and ran.She never had a contract with him. Well he didn't put a tarp on the roof to avoid leaking from the rain, it never rained. Well a new guy came and looked at it. he said he would finish the job. So my mom signed a contract with him. Well he didn't put anything over the roof to avoid a leak from rain. We it started to rain and mom tried to contact him to tell him but he never responded. It rained for 2 days. It rained on her ceiling in one of the bedrooms and the ceiling caved in and water is everywhere. The guy said he is not responsible sine there wasn't a tarp over the roof when he started. I think he is responsible since she signed a contract with him to take over the job. Need some advice

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

She needs to read her contract. Based on your post, it does not appear she contracted with him to protect the unprotected roof from damage.

BL

Was the contraced Roofer licenced.

I think the court would look at what is reasonable ,as it would make no sence not to tear up the already installed shingles and lay dow protection(s) as a good roofer should do ,to repair and finsish the job .

Utimatly this is what needs to be done .

Better get laid over that roof until it is.

OHRoadwarrior

Was the contraced Roofer licenced.

I think the court would look at what is reasonable ,as it would make no sence not to tear up the already installed shingles and lay dow protection(s) as a good roofer should do ,to repair and finsish the job .

Utimatly this is what needs to be done .

Better get laid over that roof until it is.
It may have been OP's moms intent to hire roofer for that job, which is separate from the roofing job, it does not appear they addressed the cost/contracting of an additional crew being dispatched to immediately tarp the structure, which is a separate job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">