• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drywall job final bill 10 times the initial quote

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistaZ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello guys,
I recently had a drywall contractor out here to repair something in my home. He quote the job at $150-? The quote included removal, after repairs of drywall, prime, and paint. I signed that one. After he tore open the wall, he stated that a plumber needed to do work prior to repatching. I had to work but left a key for the plumber to perform his work. The drywall guy then went back and did his final work. I spoke to him on the phone and asked about how to pay him (by card or what not as I was not home). He said we'll worry about that later. I came home and found a bill for $1,535. Do I have any recourse here?

THanks.

divona2000

Was the quote of $150 also discussed verbally? Or was it just written? Because a scribbled $150? might have actually been $1,500.

mistaZ

and the big question:

what did the contractor say when you asked him about the ten times increase?
I received the quote when I got home yesterday. I have not asked him yet as I wanted to do some research. I doubt he'll budge now as I immediately left him a negative rating on servicemagic. Perhaps I blew it on this one and will have to eat it.

BL

You say contract , you also say quote .

Type exactly what the Paper has written on it with the $150.

mistaZ

You say contract , you also say quote .

Type exactly what the Paper has written on it with the $150.
The paper says Contract

Please pay from this invoice. No other statement will be rendered. Upon signature of contract customer agrees to terms and conditions on reverse side of this contract.

I hereby authorize the above described work to be performed by "COMPANY NAME" and agree to all terms and conditions set forth above in this contract. I agree to pay for all work, goods, and services received in accordance with the contract and terms stated herein.

TERMS: An account maintenance fee of 1 1/2% of the outstanding balance will added to amounts not paid within 30days of the invoice date. A $50 charge will be assessed fr al return checks.

Work authorization contract and assignment of insurance benefits and direct insurance co to make payment in fully and directly to "COMPANY NAME".

Unless buyer has initiated this contract in connection with emergency or immediate necessity repairs or services and has executed a written waiver, if either the proposal and/or acceptance of this contract is made at other than the premiseses at which "COMPANY NAME" normally carries its business, then YOU, THE BUYER, MAY CANCEL this transaction at any time prior to midnight of the third business day after the date of this transaction. See the attached notice of cancellation form for any explanation of this right. By initialing the prooperty owner hereby waive the three day notice refernced above as provided in Civil Code Section 1689.13.

The area where I signed on the $150 dollar contract says Work Authorization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">