• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

E-bay purchase gone sour

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

John Ash

John Ash,Florida. I recently bought a watch off of Ebay for $2500.I have never received it because the seller said that Fedex lost it.He says he had it insured for 2500, but Fedex says they dont insure any jewelry over 500.Is the seller liable for my money back?How do I sue him?He is in Ca. will I have to go there?Can I recover costs for travel,lawyer,and time off of work?Thanks,John Ash

JETX

Q1) "I have never received it because the seller said that Fedex lost it.He says he had it insured for 2500, but Fedex says they dont insure any jewelry over 500."
A1) And what does the shipper say when you ask him to FAX you copies of all Fedex paperwork???

Q2) "Is the seller liable for my money back?"
A2) Maybe. Depends on whether he can prove that that it was delivered to Fedex and insured.

Q3) "How do I sue him?"
A3) Ah, the fun of doing internet (interstate) commerce. You have to sue him in California or in federal court.

Q4) "He is in Ca. will I have to go there?"
A4) See A3.

Q5) "Can I recover costs for travel,lawyer,and time off of work?"
A5) Depending on your claim, you might be able to recover attorney fees, but probably NOT for travel and certainly not for time off.

Suggestions/Comments:
1) Have you filed a fraud claim with eBay???
2) Why didn't you use escrow for this large a purchase?
3) Have you contacted his local police department about filing fraud or theft complaint??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">