• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Earthlink charging me for services they say are not available to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have been a customer of EarthLink sine July of 2005. I connect using a modem (provided by EarthLink at my cost) as well as a router (also provided by EarthLink at my cost). I have had to call the Tech Support at least once every other month or so, sometimes more depending on the situation due to not being able to connect, slow crawling connection etc. When you call you can’t ever speak to someone in the United States they are all from India and talking to them is extremely difficult.
Anyways...the amount of trouble I have had with my internet connection is absolutely absurd. Never once have they been able to "fix" the problem totally.

I have been told it was my modem, so we replaced that at my cost, my router again at my cost. I have gone round and round with these people so many times they don’t even send me to a regular tech support rep anymore, they take one look at my account and all the problems and they transfer me to a "higher level technician" whatever that is.

Well a little over a month ago my internet stopped working (I was so surprised!!) and I could not get reconnected, so I broke down and called these brilliant people in India *sarcasm a tad*. Again they messed with every setting under the sun and after 2 hours of this, the guy said "oh it’s your modem, we can replace it but it will cost you 59.95 unless you sign another two year contract." So I said whatever just send me the new modem. Well okay try to make this shorter..

Turns out after a week of me being on the phone with these people every day and the modem not being delivered as promised. I was told that the problem is more than likely with my line and they will need to send out a technician to check it. So that’s what they did several days later, he was outside for about an hour, then came to my door and said that I was located on the edge of their serviceable area and the speed I have been paying for is 3.0Mbps and was told that it is "NTP" which means Not technically possible for me to get that speed, and he actually told me it would be a good idea to cancel my account, because they cant provide the service I have been paying for.

I was so angry I couldn’t see straight. Now anytime I call them I can’t get anyone to assist me, all they say is there’s nothing they can do when it is NTP. I said okay well fine cancel my account, he stated that I would be responsible for the 200.00 disconnect fee and plus be charged for the modem because I broke the contract, even though they can’t provide service to me that is decent. I asked him what speed I have been paying for the last four years and he stated 3.0 Mbps which I have never been able to get. I just ran a speed meter test and it varies from 36 kbps - 100 kbps (Yes that’s right "K" bps not "M" bps) my speed and connection has gotten slower and more unstable every since the tech came to my house.

I can’t get anyone to help me, and I don’t know where to turn. I am still being charged the 39.95 a month plus 7.95 for my home networking. The 39.95 is listed on my bill as "Earthlink DSL Internet"....Interestingly enough when I run my address for availability of their services on the EarthLink website, it actually comes back saying they can’t provide that type of service in my area. And gives me three options and all are dial up ranging in price of 9.95 - 19.95 a month. Yet I am paying 39.95.

I think not only should not have to pay for any fees for canceling my service but I believe I am owed some reimbursement for the last four years I have not been getting what I have been paying for. I have paid alot of money over these four years and am being told NOW that I have never been able to get the speed I have been paying for.

I don’t know what to do, I can’t get anyone to help me ... anywhere any help would be great.

Thanks

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have been a customer of EarthLink sine July of 2005. I connect using a modem (provided by EarthLink at my cost) as well as a router (also provided by EarthLink at my cost). I have had to call the Tech Support at least once every other month or so, sometimes more depending on the situation due to not being able to connect, slow crawling connection etc. When you call you can’t ever speak to someone in the United States they are all from India and talking to them is extremely difficult.
Anyways...the amount of trouble I have had with my internet connection is absolutely absurd. Never once have they been able to "fix" the problem totally.

I have been told it was my modem, so we replaced that at my cost, my router again at my cost. I have gone round and round with these people so many times they don’t even send me to a regular tech support rep anymore, they take one look at my account and all the problems and they transfer me to a "higher level technician" whatever that is.

Well a little over a month ago my internet stopped working (I was so surprised!!) and I could not get reconnected, so I broke down and called these brilliant people in India *sarcasm a tad*. Again they messed with every setting under the sun and after 2 hours of this, the guy said "oh it’s your modem, we can replace it but it will cost you 59.95 unless you sign another two year contract." So I said whatever just send me the new modem. Well okay try to make this shorter..

Turns out after a week of me being on the phone with these people every day and the modem not being delivered as promised. I was told that the problem is more than likely with my line and they will need to send out a technician to check it. So that’s what they did several days later, he was outside for about an hour, then came to my door and said that I was located on the edge of their serviceable area and the speed I have been paying for is 3.0Mbps and was told that it is "NTP" which means Not technically possible for me to get that speed, and he actually told me it would be a good idea to cancel my account, because they cant provide the service I have been paying for.

I was so angry I couldn’t see straight. Now anytime I call them I can’t get anyone to assist me, all they say is there’s nothing they can do when it is NTP. I said okay well fine cancel my account, he stated that I would be responsible for the 200.00 disconnect fee and plus be charged for the modem because I broke the contract, even though they can’t provide service to me that is decent. I asked him what speed I have been paying for the last four years and he stated 3.0 Mbps which I have never been able to get. I just ran a speed meter test and it varies from 36 kbps - 100 kbps (Yes that’s right "K" bps not "M" bps) my speed and connection has gotten slower and more unstable every since the tech came to my house.

I can’t get anyone to help me, and I don’t know where to turn. I am still being charged the 39.95 a month plus 7.95 for my home networking. The 39.95 is listed on my bill as "Earthlink DSL Internet"....Interestingly enough when I run my address for availability of their services on the EarthLink website, it actually comes back saying they can’t provide that type of service in my area. And gives me three options and all are dial up ranging in price of 9.95 - 19.95 a month. Yet I am paying 39.95.

I think not only should not have to pay for any fees for canceling my service but I believe I am owed some reimbursement for the last four years I have not been getting what I have been paying for. I have paid alot of money over these four years and am being told NOW that I have never been able to get the speed I have been paying for.

I don’t know what to do, I can’t get anyone to help me ... anywhere any help would be great.

Thanks
I have actually had good luck with Earthlink , but with dial up service ,and their reps .

This was years ago though .

I'd suggest looking for links to Earthlink's high ups .

President of Co. - local manager , etc. and give them a call with ALL your info. and request ( specifically that their site says DSL is not avail. in your area ) .

If all else fails ,file a Complaint with your Local Office of Attorney General - Office of Consumer Affairs .

Include ALL information and print outs if you can .

The OAG has Co. consumer contact person , and hopefully you will get some satisfaction .

It sounds like you were getting dial up speed ,and at the least hold you to dial up options .

This may take a month or so to resolve ,so do not cancel in the mean time .

Thanks for the response, I have looked ALL over the internet for information on how to contact someone at the corporate level with Earthlink, but am unable to finad anything. I called Earthlink AGAIN today and asked to speak to a supervisor in the billing department, they were extremely rude and stated to me that they CANT reimburse me for anything other than one month service. I asked how I can contact someone who can authorize this, someone at the corporate level and he said "I dont have that information".

I am extremely frustrated with this, I will take your advice and contact the Attorney General for consumer affairs, but listed on their site it states that sue to the large number of complaints they recieve it may be several months before a response is given and to contact a local attorney if action is needed sooner.

So heres my question, is this something I should contact an attorney on? I just dont want to be another one of the people that "think" they have a case, I am not out to just sue someone just to sue someone. I know I am not being treated fairly or justly with Earthlink, however on a legal stand point where would I stand?

Thanks again I hope IM not asking for too much :)

xylene

You could just stiff them.

A lot less hassle - given you would lose your lawsuit because of the service contract you signed...

slwx

i did a search and saw that earthlink is based in atlanta, ga
i went to yellowpages.com & put in earthlink, atlanta, ga -- a few addresses and some phone numbers

maybe that will help you get a contact that is in the US

BL

Thanks for the response, I have looked ALL over the internet for information on how to contact someone at the corporate level with Earthlink, but am unable to finad anything. I called Earthlink AGAIN today and asked to speak to a supervisor in the billing department, they were extremely rude and stated to me that they CANT reimburse me for anything other than one month service. I asked how I can contact someone who can authorize this, someone at the corporate level and he said "I dont have that information".

I am extremely frustrated with this, I will take your advice and contact the Attorney General for consumer affairs, but listed on their site it states that sue to the large number of complaints they recieve it may be several months before a response is given and to contact a local attorney if action is needed sooner.

So heres my question, is this something I should contact an attorney on? I just dont want to be another one of the people that "think" they have a case, I am not out to just sue someone just to sue someone. I know I am not being treated fairly or justly with Earthlink, however on a legal stand point where would I stand?

Thanks again I hope IM not asking for too much :)
Are they going to let you out of the contract Too,with one months reimbusement ? ( not credit ) .

If so ,I'd be inclined to take it and be done with it , or if there are no other DSL providers , negotiate dial up with them.

I found with earthlink dial up , I was less disconnected if at all -V- other dial up providers .

I recently Found out that I was paying a phone fee I didn't need for 9 years .They would only go back 6 months credit on my bill .

So see what is involved here and see if they will follow up with a letter .

For Earthlink Contacts:
http://www.earthlink.net/about/contact/

Live chat might give you contact info.

CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS

1375 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, Georgia 30309

Last edited:
You could just stiff them.

A lot less hassle - given you would lose your lawsuit because of the service contract you signed...
From the Earthlink website.....

We're a DSL provider that believes in speed...and choice. So we offer our DSL access in a wide range of speeds, from 768Kbps to 6Mbps (8Mbps with our Home Phone Bundle). But not all speeds are available in all areas. Enter your information on our main DSL page to learn your speed options.

(**which I did and it states that it is not available in your area, now when I signed up with them four years ago they said it was and that is in my contract TO RECIEVE DSL INTERNET AT 39.95 A MONTH PLUS 7.95 FOR HOME NETWORKING.)

An EarthLink DSL connection can range from 13x to 145x faster than a typical 56K dial-up connection, depending on the DSL service level you choose. Here are specific comparisons for some of our most popular DSL Internet plans:

•1.5Mbps DSL — 25x faster than dial-up
•3.0Mbps DSL — 55x faster than dial-up
•6.0Mbps DSL — 100x faster than dial-up
•8.0Mbps DSL — 145x faster than dial-up (only available as a bundle)

Here is my point I am NOT being charged for dial up internet, I am being charged for Earthlink DSL Internet which the above information gives details on that I should be getting.
1.5Mbps DSL OMG I wish!! I have never EVER been over 186kbps and even with their fastest dial up service they promise 786kbps. I signed a contract for DSL SERVICE and after every single phone call that I made to Tech support (I mean hundreds) not once was I ever told that it was NOT technically possible to recieve this speed, and now four years later?

I am so furious at this, I know you dont actually always get what you pay for, but I am not even recieving HALF of what I have been paying for. I would do backflips and scream to all that would hear me in joy if I was ever to get a speed of 786kbp, let alone 1.5 Mbps.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you dig around a bit in the terms, you'll see that the speed is not GUARANTEED

BL

I actually believe that if all is true and about the lookup if DSL is avail. in that area ( NOT ) , the poster has a valid argument.

I myself would contact cooperate office and live chat for contacts other than the call in .I would state if there weren't a reasonable resolution the OAG would be contacted .

If that leads nowhere , I would complain to the OAG .

I think the poster is entitled to more than 1 month compensations .

The poster entered into an agreement that was impossible for earth link to deliver on .

I actually believe that if all is true and about the lookup if DSL is avail. in that area ( NOT ) , the poster has a valid argument.

I myself would contact cooperate office and live chat for contacts other than the call in .I would state if there weren't a reasonable resolution the OAG would be contacted .

If that leads nowhere , I would complain to the OAG .

I think the poster is entitled to more than 1 month compensations .

The poster entered into an agreement that was impossible for earth link to deliver on .

TY...

I took the advice above and I contacted Earthlink to obtain copies of my transcripts from all the times I called. At first I was told that they couldnt do it, but eventually they said they could email me copies from the last 3 months, mind you its nowhere near all of them. There is also some entries where the rep entered in account notes regarding my call into the support center....here is what they said...(I took out places where my name was with ****)

Also I had stated in my above post that my line was declared "NTP" it was my mistake it is "TNF" which is technically not feasible....much better right...LOL

[10/15/09 10:26:09 -- Comments]
+++ Escalation +++

As per agents request called the customer/***** back to inform the circuit being deemed as technically not feasible due to loop length. However customer was really irate & was not ready to accept the same hence wanted me to talk to technician for further assistance .Called Covad for further assistance spoke to Prasad who informed that circuit being deemed as TNF due to loop length (15200ft), requested him to schedule 1 last teach per customer req. He was not able to schedule tech, hence requested him to put me across to FST/Jason to get the thing clarified. Hence he transferred the call to Dispatch team/Sil who got the FST online informed that he was not able to get good sync at the NID & the line was testing clean, so he TNF the circuit. Called customer spoke to ***** informed her same. Customer wanted me to transfer the call to customer service team, hence transferred the call to department concern for further assist with no resolve...
Here is data Earthlink collected regarding my speed and entered into my account notes and then sent me....

[10/14/09 15:21:36 -- Comments]

NID:Outside(Easily Accessible)

UTT:1355040
VTT:3325456...

[10/14/09 15:11:09 -- Comments]
DSLAM Statistics

Client Circuit Number: ***-***-***
Client Name: *****
Company Name:
Partner Name: EarthLink
Service Brand: TeleSurfer 3.0/384 DSL+IP (Access Only) (NOTE THIS SHOWS THEY HAVE ME SET UP FOR DSL AT 3.0 MBPS)

Port Provisioning:

DSLAM Trunk Status: OK
Technology: DMT8a4
Card Status: OK
Port Status: Up
Actual Port Rates: 192 kbps Downstream / 288 kbps Upstream
Margin: 3.0 dB Downstream / 6.0 dB Upstream

Line Stability:

Traffic History:

Snapshot Data:

Upstream Cells Received from CPE: 836 ( 24705137 )
Upstream % utilization: 0.44166666%
Downstream Cells Transmitted to CPE: 281 ( 131248264 )
Downstream % utilization: 0.22083333%
ATM HEC Errors: 0 ( 1172 )
Upstream Line Errors: 0 ( 12790 )
Downstream Line Errors: 0 ( 1886184 )
Training Starts: 0 ( 107 )

[10/14/09 15:09:56 -- Comments]

DSL no:*********
Cell:********

Customer/ *********
Issue:Slow Speeds.

NADIA transferrred the call from Level 1.
She informed that the customer has done trouble shoot.
She informed that the customer is getting 68kbps.
Checked and found that the port was up with 128kbps and 0 margins.
Customer informed that the technician came and he made some changes.
And since than the speed is much slower than before.
Interacted with COVAD.
The Representative reprovision the circuit and made some other changes.
However the margins were 3.0 dB Downstream / 6.0 dB Upstream.
And the port was not remaining stable with 1.5 only.
Checked and found that the Modem is also new.
Modem Ship Date : 09/15/09
And the Representative informed to create a Covad Ticket, to Schedule a Dispatch to prove good Sync @ the Demarc.
Hence opened a UTT and VTT.

[10/14/09 13:47:53 -- Comments]
Supervisor notes
----------------------------
Cx says she is getting lesser that a dial up speed
A tech had a come to her place
After which the speed has reduced a lot
Even new modem does not give proper speed
Cx need another tech at her place
Cx not ready to troubleshoot at all
Cx very very irate
Asked the customer to check the speed again
Cx got 68.40 Kb on 2 wire.com
Cx has signed up for 3.0 mb

Cx has a router connected
Cx gets more or less the same speed even after removing the router
Cx needs another tech at her place to fix this
Verified by Mother's Maiden Name
Warm transferred the call to TRON
Spoke to Sahir
Explained the issue
Trfrd the cx

END NOTE

Sorry so much information but I just recieved this information thought you all would be interested in seeing it....where do I go from here.

Thanks again everyone

Last edited:
I spent a few years working in a call center, first as an agent and later as a supervisor. I can tell you that refusing troublshooting isn't going to help you. Niether is being irate. When you as a customer request to be transferred repeatedly you just get a new person who has no clue what's going on every time. This is frustrating to you and to the rep. For situations as bad as yours I would sometimes spend hours on one account researching to get an appropriate solution. I can tell you though that in situations where my company was unable to provide service a customer was always let out of a contract. In an area where we provided crappy service, the customer had a buyer's remorse period to figure it out. With service as bad as yours doing something like agreeing to 2 more years was a pretty stupid thing to do.

I don't know how the escalation process works with Earthlink, but it's my experience that with companies such as this that it is possible to have a case escalated to the office of the president, or OOP. I often worked on such accounts. To successfully do this you MUST remain calm on every phone call. Explain that you are mad as hell if you are, but with the situation and not the person on the phone. Agents are not empowered to help you with this, if you take it out on them you'll just make their supervisor mad. When you talk to the super and they can't resolve, ask to escalate further. Repeat until you get satisfactory results. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Are they going to let you out of the contract Too,with one months reimbusement ? ( not credit ) .

If so ,I'd be inclined to take it and be done with it , or if there are no other DSL providers , negotiate dial up with them.

I found with earthlink dial up , I was less disconnected if at all -V- other dial up providers .

I recently Found out that I was paying a phone fee I didn't need for 9 years .They would only go back 6 months credit on my bill .

So see what is involved here and see if they will follow up with a letter .

For Earthlink Contacts:
EarthLink® Contact Us

Live chat might give you contact info.

CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS

1375 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, Georgia 30309

*****UPDATE******

Thank-you SO much for this information, I knew someone out there knew just how to contact these people in the U.S. I have looked everywhere but have got nowhere.
I called the phone number you provided for corporate headquarters, and I did speak to someone who called himself an "Executive". After explaining my ENTIRE story and all I had gone through he looked into my account and was amazed at what I had gone through. He was very professional and understood why I was at the end of my rope.
Since my line was declared TNF he also stated that obviously they were not going to be able to provide me service that was more than what I was getting, I told him I am not wanting a miracle connection nor am I wanting something they obviously cant provide. I just feel as though I have been ripped off FOR FOUR YEARS. The fact that NOT ONE TECH bothered to have a technican come to my house OVER A FOUR PERIOD makes me feel all the more taken advantage of. This executive agreed with me.
So he stated that letting me out of my contract and cutting ties with them would be the only option I really had. He also stated that although he couldnt go back the full four years, he would authorize a reimbursement for the past six months once I did decide to cancel my account with them. Even though it is not a customary thing for them to do but with my situatation he feels thats only fair.
Like I said before I am not out to "win big" with these people the fact that someone is taking the initive to actually try and make it right means more to me right now than anything.
So as soon as I do get the cable thing set up I am cancelling my account with Earthlink, take my six month reimbursement and be done with it.

Thanks to all who talked with me over this, I never would have got this done without the advidce from here (especially "BL" thanks)

Just a side note to the poster that stated that me getting "irate and refusng troubleshooting" would not help me in my situation, let me just say.....

If you had gone through ALL I HAD GONE THROUGH over and over and over with these people that are talking to you by script reading, when you have already done so much of their "troubleshooting" that you have it memorized word for word and step by step, trust me you would get a little aggitated to. Having someone constantly talk to you in half english and reading from a screen like you are not an individual person is very agravating. Especially when it is done over and over and over again. I have friends that call ME NOW when they are having connection issues, BECAUSE I do know all the trouble shooting steps by heart, and I can usually get them back online.

This executive looked into my account and stated he would have been just as angry if not more. It was everyone I had dealt with in the "call center" (people that thought just like you) the reason I was treated the way I was and also the reason it took four years for me to get any type of resolve. The statement you made here

Agents are not empowered to help you with this, if you take it out on them you'll just make their supervisor mad.
proves my point. It is THEIR JOB to provide CUSTOMER SERVICE and as a supervisor it is theirs to assure a customer is taken care of and satisfied. It is not MY job to walk on egg sheels around them to assure they do their job as desribed to them. **************************** Anyway...

again thanks everyone this site is amazing
BL you rock :)

BL

You're welcome .

I don't don't why you could not find the contact info. for them though .

Google is your Friend .. :)

I wouldn't wait too long to take their offer however ,and I hope that person at cooperate gave you his personal contact info. and or reference # ,or put the info. in the computer notes ,or will be sending you a letter . Something.

As far as consumer helps ,one of the worst I had was with AOL . I had supervisors actually hang up on me .

I hated giving up my favorite chat rooms in AOL , but I finally went with Earthlink dial-up because it was stable and affordable .

Again , glad there was a resolution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">