• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

electric company fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tessmyarb

What is the name of your state? TX
When we first moved into our apartment last Sept. I ordered electric service. since then I have not recieved a bill. I have called them over half a dozen times, to find out why the are not sending me a bill. each time they have said that the bill is on its way, to my correct address. in my last household they did the same thing and stiffed me with an $800 bill with late charges and fees. which is the reason why i have continud calling them. i just recieved a bill all of the sudden yesterday for over $1000 due in one week. is this right? i feel that they should send out thier bills in a timely manner just as they expect me to pay in a timely manner. i feel that they are fraudulently not sending me a bill for many months so that they can get extra money in fees and charges. Help!! do i have any rights in this matter??

djohnson

They probably did send out the bill and for whatever reason you didn't get it or pay it. When you made these numerous calls to find out if they had sent the bill why didn't you simply ask them how much it was and mail them a payment. Or ask them to fax you a copy. I think this falls to your neglect of not keeping up with it.

C

condaggitt

tessmyarb said:
What is the name of your state? TX
When we first moved into our apartment last Sept. Help!! do i have any rights in this matter??
Yes you have the right to calculate the electricty you used, and present the electric company with your estimation of the amount you actually used.

You do know how to read the meter, and figure out your bill?

For example when you moved in the meter read 67853, now it reads 74853, or a difference 7000 kwh, or kiliowatt hours. multiplied by the cost per kwh, say 10 Cents equal......$700.

If you have not been reading your meter and cannot figure out the bill, then you have no choice but to pay the $1000, after all you did use the electricty, and sept to june is 10 months so $100 a month in texas sounds pretty cheap to me.

Quote" i feel that they are fraudulently not sending me a bill for many months so that they can get extra money in fees and charges

You need to check with them to see if the landlord refused them entry or has a special lock on the door, if the landlord is responsible for them not being able to read the meters on time, then you could sue the landlord for the late fees& charges.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">