• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Electronics Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djxdj

Hello, I'm in California.

I had a 30" computer monitor that I paid about $2k for last year. It recently crapped out on me, and it was still covered under warranty, so I returned it to the manufacturer for service.

A week later, I receive a call that the monitor can neither be repaired nor replaced, and they would like to offer me a refund, but I need to supply the original purchase receipt. I no longer have this receipt (lost in mudslides last year), and the retailer I purchased it at is no longer in business, so I am unable to get a duplicate receipt.

The manufacturer says that without a receipt, they can only refund me their manufacturing cost, which is only around $500.

Do I have any other options at this point other than taking their measly offering?

Thanks in advance...

BL

I had a 30" computer monitor that I paid about $2k for last year. It recently crapped out on me, and it was still covered under warranty, so I returned it to the manufacturer for service.

A week later, I receive a call that the monitor can neither be repaired nor replaced, and they would like to offer me a refund, but I need to supply the original purchase receipt. I no longer have this receipt (lost in mudslides last year), and the retailer I purchased it at is no longer in business, so I am unable to get a duplicate receipt.

The manufacturer says that without a receipt, they can only refund me their manufacturing cost, which is only around $500.

Do I have any other options at this point other than taking their measly offering?

Thanks in advance...
So you have the warranty Info. in your name , as you said you sent it in under warranty ?

Or was this the basic warranty for that item ?

djxdj

Hi,

This was the basic 3-year warranty that the manufacturer offers for its products.

Thanks!

BL

Hi,

This was the basic 3-year warranty that the manufacturer offers for its products.

Thanks!
Request them to send you one of comparable or better quality .

That should get you one of comparable value .

Although PC items often depreciate in value over even a couple years , drastically sometimes .

If they won't , file a complaint your nearest office of Attorney General - consumer complaint .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Request them to send you one of comparable or better quality .

That should get you one of comparable value .

Although PC items often depreciate in value over even a couple years , drastically sometimes .

If they won't , file a complaint your nearest office of Attorney General - consumer complaint .
The basic warranty usually applies to the ORIGINAL retail buyer. This OP can't prove that he was the original buyer. That's the problem.

Mass_Shyster

Thanks in advance...
Can you get a statement from your credit card company showing the purchase?

BL

The basic warranty usually applies to the ORIGINAL retail buyer. This OP can't prove that he was the original buyer. That's the problem.
Granted :

But this could be an arguing point :

Also ,unless they have the serial number in there files that it belongs to someone else , their basic warranty applies .

They are willing to give the poster a " refund " of $500.00 .

If their policy was a receipt ,then they shouldn't be offering any refund .

Given the fact they are , I'd request a replacement of equal or better quality .

cyjeff

The replacement is entirely dependent upon the terms of the warranty offered.

I urge the OP to look to his bank statement and/or credit card statement.

In addition, certain credit cards also extend the manufacturer's warranty.

djxdj

Thank you for the replies everyone,

I was able to find the charge on my credit card statement from mid-2008 when I purchased the monitor. It simply says "Circuit City." I spoke to the representative today, who said that this is insufficient as it doesn't detail that I purchased their item.

They no longer manufacture the monitor in question, nor do they make a comparable model anymore. The best monitor they make is 4" smaller than this one.

Doesn't their offer of a refund admit that they are liable under the terms of the warranty? Is it unreasonable to either demand the original MSRP (rather than their production cost) or the price of a competitor's replacement?

Thanks again!

BL

If they won't budge file a complaint with OAG near you .They have the consumer contact for the Co.and will forward your complaint to them ,and hope for the best .OAG can not make them comply however,but often get satisfactory results.

CC is stubborn also.

Be aggressively assertive .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Again - how can the OP *PROVE* that he's the original purchaser, if that's a requirement of the warranty?

BL

Again - how can the OP *PROVE* that he's the original purchaser, if that's a requirement of the warranty?
I'm not saying he will come out ahead .I'm saying since they are offering $500.00 to begin with , it's worth a shot .

If there warranty precluded any refund ,why would they offer any amount ?

BL

I can't disagree with you there.

P.R.
Well ,I once purchased a PC from a private individual ,later learning it was under extended warranty by a 3rd Co.

First a CC employee said they'd replace it ( they no longer carried that Make ) , then the manager did an about face .

I went through the OAG and eventually the 3rd party ,agreed to replace it with a better refurbished model ( because that one was no longer being manufactured ) as a courtesy .

I really had to stick to my guns though .

So even though this is a bit different ,there is a warranty that exist on the item .

It just may work out for the poster .

He might get a replacement " refurbished " of equal or better " quality " .

So ,yes , P.R.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">