• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Email contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ozob2k

Email contract - not Ebay - Private individual

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I contacted an individual by email, located in MI, who is auctioning an item on a personal website - not ebay - and asked if there was a "buy now" price that would be considered. The individual responded with a dollar amount. I replied, accepting the offer and asked on desired payment methodology. The individual replied, advising on payment and the address to send the payment to. I cut a check and mailed it. Now, several days later, I received an email saying to hold the check as there are other people interested in the item.
I contacted the individual by phone stating that we had a contract and that I expected it to be honored. I was told that it is an auction and it is still in progress.
My question is basically does the above scenario contain an enforceable contract or am I out of luck?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ozob2k

This is NOT an ebay question. This is about a private individual conducting a personal auction on their site trying to get out an offer they accepted.

divgradcurl

Well, you have offer and accpetance -- an exchange of promises -- so a court may very well agree that you have a binding contract. But even if you do have a binding contract, you would need to travel to the other person's home state to enforce the contract in court. If you are willing to fly off to Michigan -- at your expense -- and sue the person in court, you might have a case. But only you can determine whether or not it is worth it to fly off to MI to pursue this.

Ozob2k

Thank You

Thank you for your answer. The item is quite valuable to me and I will schedule a consultation with my lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">