• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is an email warranty legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bw1802

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I just had a new deck completed 11/09/09 and some of the decking is having structural issues such as bouncing and flexing. It has detached from the support boards underneath and moves a bit.

We hired an independent contractor and the only paperwork we have is a form we signed called "acceptance of proposal" which included the work to be done and the amount the job would cost, but no info on a warranty. However I do have an email he sent before work started that the job includes a 5 year warranty provided the deck is properly maintained.

He is not returning calls or emails and I think he is giving us the "brush off" to return to repair the deck. If I wanted to try to persuade him to honor his work by suggesting legal action is the email statement of warranty good enough or am I out of luck? Do I have any other legal options to get him to fix the new deck he just built? We had a great working relationship and would be disappointed to have to ruin that so I want to be sure I have a leg to stand on before I choose to confront him. That is, if he'll return my calls...

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
bw1802

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">