• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are emailed agreements contracts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

midgamidg

Texas

I had someone ask of me to create them a logo (for free) for their organization, by email. They specifically asked for five horse heads in the logo. In return they promised to advertise my name with my artwork. I replyed using two emails stating I would do this but my contact info. of my emails address or web site must be advertised as well, that I would need a written & signed personal guarantee of this promise (not just an email), and that I can not use copyright protected photos to go by unless they are acomanied with written permission by the photographer. They basically agreed to this in their next email.
Well I finally received photos 1 1/2 months later, no personal guarantee, and the photos are obviousely copyright protected, and with the photos a letter directing me to create seven heads in the logo. She also wants the finished product of a logo and painting in two to three weeks.

My question is this a contract? If so can I get out of it? I didn't think to put a time limit in my first acceptance email. I want out because I can't create that fast, don't want to infringe on copyrights, and I have a feeling I won't be properly advertised with the artwork. I feel since the photos are copyright protected that makes this aggreement illegal and void. Is her promise by email to advertise for me good enough consideration to make this a valid contract?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">