• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee gives incorrect return policy information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anaili3482

California
hello, I recently bought a window air conditioner unit at a furniture store on credit and left a sixty dollar deposit. Unfortunately, my landlord did not allow the installation of the unit. I called the furniture store and I asked the lady who answered (Veronica), what was the return policy. She asked me when and what I purchased. She told me that it would be no problem, to go to the store and talk to the saleslady that helped me and that they would even give me my deposit. I was estatic so, I went to the store and went up to lady, to my surprise she reacted pretty hostile towards me and even implied if I even called the correct phone number. She rudely stated that I can't just purchase something and bring it back. I asked to speak to manager who basically told me that there is employee by the name of Veronica there. Basically gave me run around and at the end, stated I would have to pay a restocking fee. I asked her then who did I speak to and she did not seem concern. I also noticed the contract is in spanish which I do not understand completely. Is there anything I can do? I do not find it fair that I have to pay around sixty-five dollars for nothing. I also noticed they included tax on the ac but, included the document fee. Is that able to be taxed?

Last edited:

Dave1952

I'm not sure I know what's going on here. Did you ever take the AC unit from the store? Why did you sign an agreement that you could not read?

anaili3482

Unfortunately that was a big mistake on my part. The sales lady just pointed out the payments and the balance I would owe. I wasn't planning on returning it. All the places I've ever bought anything at where they do not have a return policy make it very clear to you. I've been researching and read that in California there has to be a posting in regards to a restocking fee. I don't seem to find it in the contract I signed. Clearly I will always clarify return policy regardless of what I purchase. I just wondered if there is anything that can be done? Obviously, they are giving run around and acting as if my intent was to disceive. Oh and by the way, I did take the ac but didn't use it.

Dave1952

Have someone read your agreement. If you took the AC home then it well need to be unpacked and inspected. Likely that's not free but look at the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">