• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emplyoment Contract-Payment reduced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Enigmaschild

I have an employment contract that states I am a salaried employee at a set salary. It alos states that I would perform certain job duties for company at a specfied site, has at-will hire/fire policy and benefits clearly stated.
My problem is I signed this contract expecting to be paid a certain amount for a 40 hr work week and now my employer wants to reduce this pay rate by 5% because they took a finacial hit. My contract states a per hour pay rate and yearly rate. I asked for the legal justification in their ability to simply not pay me.

Contract signed for CT company based in NY

L

lawrat

They cannot lower your salary if they have not demoted you. So....you can do one of two things:

risk a lawsuit and hire a lawyer (by the way, expect you wont have a job after this) OR slowly look for another job, at a better rate.

E

Enigmaschild

Thought so

Thanks , that is pretty much what I had thought. Thankfully I'm highly employable and already have an interview scheduled for Tuesday.
My resume rocks!!!
I'll call a lawyer and maybe this could be a class action suit I hate to see the rest of these folks get screwed out of their paychecks. Most of them are terrified to speak up or even question, I'm thankful I'm in a postion where I can question and take the loss if (when) it comes. Any recommendations on a good class action lawyer?? This affected thousands of employees and could be a hefty payday for the lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">