• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending a contract with a bad contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pstamey

NC

I hired a contractor in march to install vinyl siding and replacement windows in my home. The job got off on a bad foot but we stuck it out and allowed them to continue to work on the house. By June, things still weren't completed to our satisfaction. The contractor began to send us invoices which I just ignored. In August, he sent me a letter stating that he understood there were some remaining issues and he wanted to come out at my convenience to finish. I obliged this request, set a date and asked that he meet with me to review the issues. I had requested that they have all materials available when coming to finish as they would have one Saturday and possibly the Sunday to finish. Well, it rained so we rescheduled for the following weekend. A week passed and they did come to work on that Saturday. They however did not finish, nor did they come with all of the materials needed. We are tired of working with this company and are ready to let them go.

My questions are as follows.

Can I just let him know that he is done? That we have been more than patient with him since March and still 6 months later the job is still incomplete. That we have no real confidence that the job will be completed to our satisfaction.

Can I refuse to pay him? What are my risks?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">