• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcing Rules & Reguations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Applez

Name of state: IL

My local post office won't let me ship a package because they claim that it's "too bulky." I called USPS and they told me that the package I'm trying to ship has certain dimensions that cannot be exceeded. However, the phone rep. could not locate said dimensions outside of her own resources (which, apparently, are only available to USPS employees) and I told her that I'd never seen such dimensions myself.

So this is my question: Can USPS enforce rules that are not stated on their website? If so, any information stating -why- or (---especially---) why they -cannot- enforce such rules would be great.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Name of state: IL

My local post office won't let me ship a package because they claim that it's "too bulky." I called USPS and they told me that the package I'm trying to ship has certain dimensions that cannot be exceeded. However, the phone rep. could not locate said dimensions outside of her own resources (which, apparently, are only available to USPS employees) and I told her that I'd never seen such dimensions myself.

So this is my question: Can USPS enforce rules that are not stated on their website? If so, any information stating -why- or (---especially---) why they -cannot- enforce such rules would be great.
Sounds to me like they already did :rolleyes:

Applez

So basically, all rules not visible to the general public can be enforced by any establishment at any given point in time? Period? The establishments website can say, "Yes!" And their system (not visible to the GP) can say, "No!" And they have the legal right to enforce the latter?

I can't think of a good example, but let's say Neiman & Marcus had a "rule" which stated that returning a product would cost $100, but said rule was not listed on the receipt or anywhere visible to the consumer. Let's say that they DID have the rule in their own "system", just not posted anywhere for the general public to see. Would they be able to enforce such a rule? If the receipt states, "Refund/returns within 30 days" and then they try to charge me $100, I (legally) will not be able to return my product unless I pay them the $100?

Last edited:

divona2000

...local post office won't let me ship a package because they claim that it's "too bulky." I called USPS and they told me that the package I'm trying to ship has certain dimensions that cannot be exceeded. However, the phone rep. could not locate said dimensions outside of her own resources (which, apparently, are only available to USPS employees) and I told her that I'd never seen such dimensions myself.

...rules that are not stated on their website?...
USPS website clearly says:
"For every size and shape of mail or package, there is a minimum and maximum size. See the charts below to ensure your mail meets the United States Postal Service measurement standards and limits."

Parcel Post package:
• Maximum size is length + width around largest point = 130”
Other package services:
• Maximum size is length + width around largest point = 108”

Applez

I've seen those rules before and the "package" I'm working with (a Flat rate envelope) completely abides by those rules.

What the phone rep. told me over the phone is that the package, "cannot exceed 3/4" in thickness", which I don't believe is on their website. That's what I'm referring to. My package is no where near 130 inches combined - 40 inches MAX!

Proserpina

I've seen those rules before and the "package" I'm working with (a Flat rate envelope) completely abides by those rules.

What the phone rep. told me over the phone is that the package, "cannot exceed 3/4" in thickness", which I don't believe is on their website. That's what I'm referring to. My package is no where near 130 inches combined - 40 inches MAX!
And you don't think this was important enough to mention before?

So...was it a Flat Rate package or not?

Applez

And you don't think this was important enough to mention before?
Not really, no. You can still answer my initial question without knowing details (read: measurements). But if you're asking because you'd like to help me -search- for the rules, then that's another story. But again, the measurements aren't necessary to answer my initial question.

So...was it a Flat Rate package or not?
Yes. As mentioned above:

cyjeff

Flat rate packages can be given a specific and lower rate because they can still fit into certain high speed sorting machines.

If your package is too thick to be fed into the machine (and 3/4 sounds about right), you have to pay the higher rate for hand sorted mail.

Applez

Flat rate packages can be given a specific and lower rate because they can still fit into certain high speed sorting machines.

If your package is too thick to be fed into the machine (and 3/4 sounds about right), you have to pay the higher rate for hand sorted mail.
It doesn't mention anything regarding dimensions in the USPS Domestic Mailing Manual - this is exactly what it says:

"Any amount of material may be mailed in a USPS-produced Priority Mail flat-rate box or flat-rate envelope. When sealing a flat-rate box or flat-rate envelope, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container, provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way."​

Proserpina

Not really, no. You can still answer my initial question without knowing details (read: measurements). But if you're asking because you'd like to help me -search- for the rules, then that's another story. But again, the measurements aren't necessary to answer my initial question.
Actually, yes it does matter. USPS "Flat Rate" packages have far less restrictive size and weight limits than regular USPS packages.

But hey, it's moot. Your question was answered, though there is mild curiosity as to exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

Applez

Actually, yes it does matter. USPS "Flat Rate" packages have far less restrictive size and weight limits than regular USPS packages.

But hey, it's moot. Your question was answered, though there is mild curiosity as to exactly what you're trying to accomplish.
I'll tell you why it doesn't matter:

My question: "Can USPS enforce rules that are not stated on their website?"

Why would you need anything beyond the words in the above sentence to answer it? Fact is, you don't. It's a clear-cut, black and white question that can easily be answered without the need of additional information.

Where I'm currently at (which should feed your curiosity) is whether or not they can enforce rules that are not on the official USPS website. You mentioned that "they could" above, but failed to answer my follow-up question:

So basically, all rules not visible to the general public can be enforced by any establishment at any given point in time? Period? The establishments website can say, "Yes!" And their system (not visible to the GP) can say, "No!" And they have the legal right to enforce the latter?

I can't think of a good example, but let's say Neiman & Marcus had a "rule" which stated that returning a product would cost $100, but said rule was not listed on the receipt or anywhere visible to the consumer. Let's say that they DID have the rule in their own "system", just not posted anywhere for the general public to see. Would they be able to enforce such a rule? If the receipt states, "Refund/returns within 30 days" and then they try to charge me $100, I (legally) will not be able to return my product unless I pay them the $100?

I'm not saying they CAN'T, I'd just really love for someone to provide some form of written proof that states that they could. I keep hearing people tell me they could "this" and they could "that", but (and I mean no offense by this) it's all an opinion/assumption to me until I'm shown proof. Proof is what I was hoping could be accomplished by starting this thread. Are there any rules either on their site or on a .gov site that states that they can enforce rules that are not visible to the general public? Or is saying, "they could do whatever they want" also a generally-agreed-upon, unwritten rule that needs to be accepted without question?

Last edited:

Proserpina

I'll tell you why it doesn't matter:

My question: "Can USPS enforce rules that are not stated on their website?"

Why would you need anything beyond the words in the above sentence to answer it? Fact is, you don't. It's a clear-cut, black and white question that can easily be answered without the need of additional information.

Where I'm currently at (which should feed your curiosity) is whether or not they can enforce rules that are not on the official USPS website. You mentioned that "they could" above, but failed to answer my follow-up question:

I'm not saying they CAN'T, I'd just really love for someone to provide some form of written proof that states that they could. I keep hearing people tell me they could "this" and they could "that", but (and I mean no offense by this) it's all an opinion/assumption to me until I'm shown proof. Proof is what I was hoping could be accomplished by starting this thread. Are there any rules either on their site or on a .gov site that states that they can enforce rules that are not visible to the general public? Or is saying, "they could do whatever they want" also a generally-agreed-upon, unwritten rule that needs to be accepted without question?
Not doing your homework for you - sorry.

Applez

I'm not asking you (or anyone) to do my homework for me. I was soliciting the opinions of those who may be knowledgeable in such areas. If that's not you, perhaps you shouldn't reply to such threads and leave questions such as these to those who may be of better assistance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">