• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Engagement Ring Badly Damaged at Jewerly Repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhauenst

I went in to Jared's Jewelers to get my engagement ring resized last weekend. When I got it backed it was all but ruined. The ring I had brought in was 2mm thick all around with detailed engraving along the sides. They stretched the ring so thin, that the ring I got back was paper thin (less than 1/2 a mm) and all the engraving was either damaged or had been obliterated. The ring has approximately half the gold on it as when I brought it in.

I was so upset, I cried an entire night when I saw what they had done to my beautiful ring I just got a few months ago. The manager at Jared's told me they would not repair or replace it because I cannot prove they did the damage. He said I could have brought it in that way. They took a picture of the ring before they did the repairs and I made him give me a copy of the picture but it is not a very good photocopy. The manager also said that when my fiance picked it up, he signed the receipt saying the ring was in good condition. Unfortunately, my fiance just picked it up for me and didn't look at it.

This ring means so much to me and I am beside myself everytime I look at it because I cannot believe what they did to it. It would mean so much to me if someone would please send me some advice on how to proceed. Should I file a claim in small claims court or regular court? Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I went in to Jared's Jewelers to get my engagement ring resized last weekend. When I got it backed it was all but ruined. The ring I had brought in was 2mm thick all around with detailed engraving along the sides. They stretched the ring so thin, that the ring I got back was paper thin (less than 1/2 a mm) and all the engraving was either damaged or had been obliterated. The ring has approximately half the gold on it as when I brought it in.

I was so upset, I cried an entire night when I saw what they had done to my beautiful ring I just got a few months ago. The manager at Jared's told me they would not repair or replace it because I cannot prove they did the damage. He said I could have brought it in that way. They took a picture of the ring before they did the repairs and I made him give me a copy of the picture but it is not a very good photocopy. The manager also said that when my fiance picked it up, he signed the receipt saying the ring was in good condition. Unfortunately, my fiance just picked it up for me and didn't look at it.

This ring means so much to me and I am beside myself everytime I look at it because I cannot believe what they did to it. It would mean so much to me if someone would please send me some advice on how to proceed. Should I file a claim in small claims court or regular court? Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

We can't tell you since you didn't give use the name of your state. Statutory maximums differ by state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think your fiance messed this one up for you. He signed for it being in good condition which would likely release the jewelry store from liability.

xylene

how much was the ring enlarged?

You should and would have known that stretching the ring to enlarge it would make it thinner and make the engraving less defined.

This is why stretching is a fraction of the cost of a cut and insert enlargment

ecmst12

I really want to know which Jared this was, that's where I got my ring too! Course I got the service plan so ALL repairs and resizing is included.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I see no mention of the ring being purchased at Jared's.

On a side note - I really despise those "He went to Jared" commercials! :mad:

ecmst12

Oh I do too, I actually hate pretty much ALL jewelry commercials, but that is where we found The Ring. Never seen one like it anywhere else :) And we really liked the salesguy at the one in Delaware...not so much the one in King of Prussia but we'd already bought the ring by then :)

jhauenst

more

We did not buy the ring from Jared's and therefore do not have their warranty. Sizing a ring should never be done by stretching the ring until it's paper thin. The engagement ring setting cost $3000 originally.

I hope this helps. Does anyone have any legal advice on how I should proceed?

BL

We did not buy the ring from Jared's and therefore do not have their warranty. Sizing a ring should never be done by stretching the ring until it's paper thin. The engagement ring setting cost $3000 originally.

Answer the questions .

What State ?

Where was it purchased ?

How long ago was it purchased ?

xylene

You didn't answer the question of how much the rings size was increased.

That is the crux of the matter.

Did they ruin the ring or did they give you exactly what you asked for?...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">