• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Engine "blew up" while in Dealer's shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deealsotoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
WASHINGTON

I took my 2002 Vitara that I have only had for about 3 months..into the dealer to have a "tapping" sound looked at. He called me later the same day and told me " I found out the reason for the tapping but not in a good way" He then said I would need another engine....the timing belt had blown and took out the engine with it. My extended warrenty will cover most things but isn't the dealer atleast somewhat at fault? They want to install a used engine, am I not intitled to a new engine?:confused:

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
WASHINGTON

I took my 2002 Vitara that I have only had for about 3 months..into the dealer to have a "tapping" sound looked at. He called me later the same day and told me " I found out the reason for the tapping but not in a good way" He then said I would need another engine....the timing belt had blown and took out the engine with it. My extended warrenty will cover most things but isn't the dealer atleast somewhat at fault? They want to install a used engine, am I not intitled to a new engine?:confused:
You didn't have a new engine in the car when you drove in, so you're not entitled to one now.

Also, if the engine had problems when it went in, it's doubtful you will be able to prove that the dealer damaged it.

justalayman

just how do you believe the dealer is liable for the damages?

Depending on what engine you have, it may or may not be what is called an "interference engine". What that means is the valves, of an interference engine, can actually hit the piston at normal valve lift but do not under normal circumstances because the action of the valves and pistons is timed so the piston is not fully to the top of the cylinder when the valves are fully open. If a timing belt wears out and the valve timing is altered, the pistons then can and may hit the piston and damage the valves or break pistons.

Sometimes, a different engine is not actually needed. The damage can be as simple as some bent valves that would need replacement. Even if a piston is broken, the engine may still be usable for a rebuild. The only way to determine this accurately would be to disassemble the engine.

So, what may have happened is the timing belt had allowed the timing to be off enough for a valve to touch the piston but not cause any real damage but when the belt finally just gave up, the interference was great enough to cause severe damage.

I know of a few things that could have caused this to happen that a repair shop might have done in their investigation of the noise but most likely, it just happened while in their possession through no fault of theirs.

so,what are you entitled to:

if you were paying for it, you could get whatever you were willing to pay for. Since the warranty company is paying for it, you get whatever your contract says you get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">