• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Engine repair nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

surfgal28

What is the name of your state? CA

I took my car to this shop to have it checked for engine noise. I needed to have the engine rebuilt and paid a down payment of $3000.00 on my credit card to have the work started. For months I have been given the run around as to when my vehicle would be done. The owner then told me he would have it finished after 7/4/03 and he wanted to drive it around for a few days to make sure everything was ok. I went to pick up the car on 7/12/03 because it was supposed to have been done only to find a notice of eviction on the door and no sign of my car. I placed a stolen vehicle report with the police and notified my insurance company. I then talked to the owner on 7/14 and he said he had moved to his friend's shop and he would have the car done within the next week and a half. I like a fool believed him.

I later went to check up on my car at this other shop only to find parts in the front and back seat of my car. When I talked to the owner of this shop he told me that his friend had brought over all the vehicles from his old shop to his place and he was waiting on payment of $1100.00 for storage and services. He told me that the engine was complete and he was waiting for someone from the first shop to come and drop the engine in and put the remaining pieces back together. I asked to pick up the car to move the car to another shop and he said he would not release the vehicle until he had been paid.

Now, how can someone I do not have a contract with to do work on the vehicle keep the vehicle? How can I be expected to pay for storage when the car isn't even supposed to be there to begin with?

Is there any way out of this nightmare? I have notified the Bureau of Automotive Repair, contacted my credit card company to get a refund and am now considering legal action. What are my options?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">