• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entering into a contract under 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Speedymon

Hi, I live in North Carolina

My problem is that I got a phone call one day from a company that said I won a gold watch. Now she went through all of these details about all I had to do was get this subscription for 3.36 a week. Naturally I said yes because I thought I actually won something. When they sent me papers to receive the watch the total came to 645.08. I decided that it was too much, so I called and wanted to cancel, but they said that they had already ordered it and they would take me to court if I didn't pay for it.

Here's the kicker. I am under 18, so am I liable to pay it? When they called me I did say I was over 18 because I really wanted to get the so called "prize." I heard somewhere that a contract is void if the person is under 18. Is this true?

djohnson

That would be true if you didn't misrepresent yourself. They entered into a contract with what they thought was a person over 18 since you represented yourself that way.

Speedymon

But still,does that make the contract null and void? I'm sure it has happened before. I also read somewhere that companis cannot collect on something other than luzuxry items if the person is under 18.

dallas702

You'd better check your state consumer laws, but under no circumstances should you accept the watch (or anything else when it arrives). This is a common scam, but I think you played them as much as they were ripping you off. Was it one of those (quietly stated) 3-5 year subscriptions?

How did you pay for this....or were you planning to pay for this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">