• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estimates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grl986

If someone gives me an 'Estimate' to carry out work for me, what is the acceptable variation on that 'estimate' before it is considered fraudulent or breech of contract.

JETX

If someone gives me an 'Estimate' to carry out work for me, what is the acceptable variation on that 'estimate' before it is considered fraudulent or breech of contract.
Though an estimate COULD show that a contractual obligation MIGHT exist (if it meets all the elements of a contract), it is usually NOT in fact a contract. It is simply an OFFER to do specific work for a specific price.

grl986

If someone gives me an estimate to carry out an agreed amount of work, then after me agreeing to that level of work and the price, the contractor takes a deposit from me, starts the job, then fails to deliver by the agreed date, then increases the price of the job to almost double the agreed price, then threatens to stop work until I pay the new and what I consider to be an unacceptable price, what level of increase would the law consider to be justified or unreasonable?

JETX

If someone gives me an estimate to carry out an agreed amount of work, then after me agreeing to that level of work and the price, the contractor takes a deposit from me, starts the job, then fails to deliver by the agreed date, then increases the price of the job to almost double the agreed price, then threatens to stop work until I pay the new and what I consider to be an unacceptable price, what level of increase would the law consider to be justified or unreasonable?
The 'law' doesn't set 'levels of increase'. Any contractual dispute would be determined purely by the facts in evidence.

grl986

Though an estimate COULD show that a contractual obligation MIGHT exist (if it meets all the elements of a contract), it is usually NOT in fact a contract. It is simply an OFFER to do specific work for a specific price.
But surely if a contractor offers to do specific work for a specific price and I agree to it, the contractor must be legally obliged to do that work for the agreed price. If they are not, the law is not only encouraging contrators to be dishonest, it is actually protecting them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">