• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maya2027

Colorado-
My boyfriends and I moved into an apartment and I put it under my name and his brother was the co-signer. My boyfriend got into some legal trouble and is no longer able to pay the rent, neither am I. If I do get evicted, the landlord said they will take my co-signer to court and sue him, not me. If I do get evicted, will I go to jail, or to court and what will happen to my credit?

djohnson

Who ever signed the lease has a binding contract to pay that amount of money for the term. You and the co signer could be sued. What it will do to your credit depends on how far the landlord persue's it. If he goes to court and gets judgement and garnishes wages it would look really bad. But if you have A LOT of things that are good then it shouldn't effect your beacon(or any other) score a great deal. How much is an answer that we can't give specifically because it varies per individual.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">