• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Boss wants car back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gphilty

What is the name of your state? texas

in october i was in an accident and my car was totaled. my husband's boss at the time offered one of his vehicles to us if we took over the payments. we have been paying on this vehicle since november or december of 2002. and have also carried the insurance on it. the payments were deducted from his monthly bonuses. my husband no longer works for this individual and now he wants his vehicle back that we have been paying for all this time and not missing one payment. it was never the intention or discussed that we would only be able to purchase this vehicle as long as my husband worked for this individual. there was never a contract written or signed. they had a gentleman's agreement. is there any legal recourse that i can take. there is a paper trail that indicates that we were paying on the vehicle and never missed a payment. at this point he is leaving me without vehicle.:(

C

coosi

If you have no paperwork regarding ownership or payments, you're over a barrel IMO. Others know more than I about this.

There would be a paper trail regarding payroll deduction (i.e. monthly bonuses weren't cash were they?), but I don't know what good it will do you.

How long did you expect to use this car when your husband doesn't even work there anymore? He obviously isn't concerned that you have no vehicle, and why should he be?

racer72

You have no claim. A court would see the case of you "renting" the vehicle and the registered owner wants his property back. Time to go car shopping.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">