• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-boyfriends debt in my name; NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jjgatto

New York- i put my ex-boyfriend's cell phone in my name. we broke up, he neglected to pay late bill...he signed up for the marines and i asked him if he payed the bill, he told me, that the military made him pay it before he left for boot camp...2 years later, i applied for a car loan and found out i owed $1200 to Cellular One. The address on his bill was to his parents house, i never saw it, therefore, i never knew the bill was not payed. i never told him about this, because i didn't know how to reach him. i had to pay the bill, in order to get the car loan...now, he's back in the area that i live in and before i approach him to ask for the money, i would like to know if there is anything i can do legally to get the money back???
thank you in advance

JETX

As long as the debt was within the past 6 years, you can sue in Small Claims court. Contact a SC court in the county where the debtor (ex) lives. Then file your case against him there. When time for trial, bring ALL your documents and present your case.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">