• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

extended warranty purchased on car isn't valid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedLeader

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
....I purchased a used car from a small dealership Sept '08. A week later, I was having mechanical problems, only to find out it was the transfer case. I went back to the dealership asking for help, and the finance person said she would add an extended warranty to my loan, redo paperwork for the purchase date so it would be retroactive to the purchase date and the repair would be covered.
I filed reimbursement for the repairs and was denied, stating the paperwork filed was dated AFTER the repairs. My copy of the contract is dated the purchase date, as well as my buyer's copy.
I was fortunate enough at the time financially, and figured sometime down the road I might have another expensive repair and will myextended warranty then (with a $200 deductible)
20 months later brings us to this month, May '10. My Service Engine Soon light was on, I had clouds of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and a whirring sound at idle. I called my warranty company to confirm procedures and found out that after giving them my contract number, it was under someone else's name with a different vehicle. I was asked to fax my warranty purchase copy so they could research it. Meanwhile, I took it to a repair shop to be checked out and recieved my diagnosis 5/17/10. I continued to call the warranty company for updates, and on 5/19/10 was instructed to call the dealer that sold me the car. I contacted the dealer on 5/20/10 and spoke to the person that sold me the warranty. It was to be 'looked into' and would be called back the next day. I never received a call back, and finally reached her on 5/22/10, only to find out that they wouldn't know anything until the following monday 5/24/10.
The dealership still didn't return a call as I left messages 5/24 and 5/25. An area sales rep for the 3rd party extended warranty company called me directly.
He explained.....When my first claim in 9/08 for the transfer case was filed and denied, he had informed the dealership that my entire extended warranty purchased for 3yrs/36k would not be accepted and was denied entirely. At that time the dealer should have refunded the money to the leinholder(the bank I financed with) OR offered me a new start with a different 3rd party warranty company.
I've been making payments on this money to my bank for 20 months now and in good faith thought I had an extended warranty. It's only now that I need to use it, I find out I never had any sort of warranty at all!!
For 20 months I've been paying interest on the warranty money added to my bank loan, all the while the dealer has been sitting on MY money. (it was never sent to the warranty company).
The owner of the dealership explained that they pay the warranty company the cost when they receive an invoice. They never received an invoice ( as the company denied my warranty) so the money was never paid, nor was it returned to the bank/leinholder. It was a situation that "fell thru the cracks".

I have had a rental car for 9 days while this discrepancy is solved, when the dealer was informed 20 months ago about it (per extended warranty company).
The dealer wants to sell me a new warranty now instead of returning the money back to the bank/leinholder. Their "offer" to solve the situation is to sell me a basic one yr warranty, and then be able to refund the balance of the warranty cost directly to me to use towards the current repairs needed. BUT...this does not help me when I have a car sitting at the shop waiting for the "ok" to be repaired for $2700, which is considerably more than the "refund" I would get.
With the warranty, I should've only had a $200 deductible!!

Who do I pursue for restitution?? This is clearly NOT my error/fault/etc as I believed I had this extended warranty as I had been giving my copy of the paperwork, and have been paying the cost of it included in my car payments for 20 months (with interest don't forget!)

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions!!

justalayman

due to the complexities of this and the fact there is a great possibility it will not fit within a small claims court action, I would strongly suggest speaking with an attorney.

To make things right, the dealership should purchase (with their own money) a warranty that would fulfill the coverage for whatever remaining time there would be for the warranty you thought you purchased. If they do this, you would simply leave the financing the way it is as you had financed a warranty so effectively, nothing would be different.

then, you need to be given the cost of the repairs that would have been covered under the warranty (minus the $200 deductible of course) since if the dealership hadn't lied to you, you would not have that expense.

those two acts would put you back to where you would be if they had actually purchased the warranty way back when, right?

So, the hard part is getting them to do this. As you have already experienced, they are masters and spinning things to benefit them at the expense of others. That, and the principles of why you have the right to make the claims I outlined above are why you need an attorney.

I would suspect, for the time being, you will have to pay for the repairs out of pocket and fight for the claims to set this right.

Who do I pursue for restitution??
everything should come from the dealer. They are the ones that claimed they were selling you a warranty and caused you to be paying for the imaginary warranty and their actions concerning that is why there is a $2700 bill that you owe for the repair of your vehicle. The only other party to this situation is the warranty provider. They gave notice to the dealer of the situation so they have done nothing wrong and as such, have no liability.

aldaron

No new warranty co will cover an existing defect, if they did everyone would just buy the xwarn only when repairs are needed.

justalayman

No new warranty co will cover an existing defect, if they did everyone would just buy the xwarn only when repairs are needed.
I understand that and accounted for that in my post. Did you not actually read it?

That is why you need them to purchase a warranty that will cover the remaining time that you should have PLUS the dealer also needs to pay for the repair that is currently needed.

CraigFL

Is there any concern that the OP conspired with the seller to falsify documents to the extended warranty company?

RedLeader

I completely understand and agree now that I reread my post that it would've been fraud. I had returned to the dealership for their help with the cost of the repair as dealers have a 30 day/1k mile limited warranty. When that wasn't going to happen, I then requested to purchase a warranty for the future. I was told to try and file the claim. Call me naive, but yes I agree, that would've been fraud, but didn't realize it at the time until I received the denial for the claim from the warranty company.
I now learn that there is a "grace period" where you cannot file a repair claim for 30 days after purchasing the warranty anyways. Funny, but I can't find that anywhere in my warranty booklet, nor is it on my contract copy. Apparently it is just "known" out there somewhere in space....??

The dealer employee now claims she told me this 30 day grace info upon getting the warranty. If she specifically remembers telling me this...then why not remember to do something with my warranty money? who does their books? Somewhere there had to have been a $3300 error.(the cost of my warranty due to a german car) But then I guess $3300 in their favor "slipped thru the cracks" as well!!

I truly appreciate the input...I am waiting for their return offer...

If they get me an extended warranty for my remaining time, pay for my car repair (less my $200 deductible) then I would split the cost of the rental car. Then, I would be satisfied!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">