• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facing possible eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PFahey

I live in Massachusetts right now. About four months ago I moved in, renting a room from an older woman. At the time, I was receiving a comfortable housing allowance from the Post 9/11 GI Bill that would take care of rent, my bills, food, and everything needed to get by day to day. However, in June something happened that I have another lawyer for who specializes in the issus, so that is looking ot be taken care of.

I am behind on the final month's rent (which was part of the security agreement) and one month's rent as well. I have turned to Father Bill's for help in coming up with the month's rent, and will be getting Chapter 115 benefits from the state as a means to get by. However, this coming month I will be making barely enough to pay rent, and the Veterans Services was going to help with the final month's rent, plus my propane bill that I have to pay for. The Veterans Services wanted my landlord to sign a W-9 form as she's a landlord, but she is adamant she will not. She has even threatened to file a lawsuit against me if she has to do so, r if one is signed in her name. According to her, she's only the go-between for her brother who owns the house, and the tenants and as such she cannot be compelled to sign off on something like that. Since I cannot get in touch with the brother, it fell on me. I was hoping that the Veterans Service would give me the check directly, but the initial submission was denied, and she refiled it, clarifying things. I haven't heard back from them on that.

My landlord gave me verbal notice last night that she intended to kick me out if there wasn't money in her hand by Friday. With the lease being month-to-month, I am unclear as to what she can legally do. In order to get the help from Father Bill's, she sent them a letter ("14 day notice to quit"), but she has not served me with papers of any type, to include any eviction papers. As such, I am left in a predicament where she may attempt to say she gave me the papers (living in the house with me) and that I am lying, or that she simply has no requirement to.

I am stressed as-is trying to find a job to last me until October, when I start classes again, and by and large I am not being very successful. I also have no money, which means if I am kicked out I will be homeless. I am trying to figure out what I can do to alleviate the situation.

swalsh411

She can't just throw you out on the street and change the locks. She has to follow the eviction process for your State.

I know of no law which would compel her to complete the W-9, although one would think she would do whatever she can to get her money.

Do you have a friend who you can stay with for a little while?

Do you have a job?

PFahey

She can't just throw you out on the street and change the locks. She has to follow the eviction process for your State.

I know of no law which would compel her to complete the W-9, although one would think she would do whatever she can to get her money.

Do you have a friend who you can stay with for a little while?

Do you have a job?
I'm aware she can't just kick me out willy-nilly and change the locks. With that being said, I would not be surprised if she attempted to, claiming she's given me 14-days notice in writing (which she has not). As for compelling her to sign the W-9, she doesn't want to because then she'll be "taxed" as it would be income, and she's not a vendor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">