• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake Bill of Sale: Fight or Flight?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paffleck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

When my father passed away in March, my half-sister showed up with a forged will leaving everything to her signed several weeks before. While it was easy to get it thrown out, she later came back with a "Bill of Sale" dated 1974 listing many of the items that she was to inherit from the tossed will. She forged my father's signature along with that of a notary public who has long since died. It is also embossed, but I have seen vintage notary embossers on ebay and apparently several companies sell them without proof of a notary license since no one uses them anymore.
I know if I spent the money on a handwriting expert I would likely prevail in court but is there really a need to go that far? If the items in question were sold in 1974 and she never took possession of them, is she still entitled to take them now? Some of the items on her bill of sale my father actually "sold" to me on a legitimate bill of sale (1994). Does my legitimate bill of sale trump the 1974 bill of sale since I actually took possession of the items in question at that time and she didn't in 1974?
Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">