• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False advertisement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steven24_7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I'm not sure this is the right forum but if it is please direct me to it.

Anyhow i recently bought a used car from craigslist, it says "clean title" and it looked well maintained, so i decided to meet up with the seller and went for a test drive and there was nothing noticeably wrong with the car at first. I asked the seller before signing the Bill of Sale if the car had any known mechanical issues and if it were rebuilt/salvaged title and he straight up lied to my face because once i drove it home i noticed that it would not go higher than 60 mph on the free way, which leads me to believe it's a faulty transmission. My question is would i be able to get my refund back or sue if he refuses to comply?

The craigslist ad itself says clean title but i did a vin check on the car when i got home and it says "Vin no. has been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Salvage Records." So it was basically false advertisement on his part in order to part with my money.

Here's the ad since he still has it up: https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5040691761.html

Just in case he takes it down i took a screenshot of it.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I'm not sure this is the right forum but if it is please direct me to it.

Anyhow i recently bought a used car from craigslist, it says "clean title" and it looked well maintained, so i decided to meet up with the seller and went for a test drive and there was nothing noticeably wrong with the car at first. I asked the seller before signing the Bill of Sale if the car had any known mechanical issues and if it were rebuilt/salvaged title and he straight up lied to my face because once i drove it home i noticed that it would not go higher than 60 mph on the free way, which leads me to believe it's a faulty transmission. My question is would i be able to get my refund back or sue if he refuses to comply?

The craigslist ad itself says clean title but i did a vin check on the car when i got home and it says "Vin no. has been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Salvage Records." So it was basically false advertisement on his part in order to part with my money.

Here's the ad since he still has it up: https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5040691761.html

Just in case he takes it down i took a screenshot of it.
Where does this:

2008 Black Toyota Scion Tc Sport Coupe ! 70K ( low hiway miles ) ! 4 Cylinder ( Excellent gas Mileage/Very fassst ) ! Automatic ! A/C ( ice cold ) ! Cd ! Abs Brakes ! Fully Powered : Windows, Mirrors, Doors, Sunroof ( everything works ) ! Custom Alloy Wheels ! Keyless ! Super Clean Interior ! Excellent Running Condition ! New Tires & Brakes ! Well Maintained & Serviced ! TITLE N' HAND ! LADY DRIVEN ! PRIVATE SELLER ! Please Call chris ASAP @ *
say clean title? Hint: It doesn't. It is a 7 year old (if not 8) car. All this says is "Title N Hand" -- why didn't you do your due diligence first and see if it was a salvage title? Did you get the title when you bought the car? Caveat emptor.

single317dad

Over on the right side of the ad, there's a selectable data item which states "Title Status: Clean". That information is provided by the seller when posting the ad.

If the vehicle is actually rebuilt salvage, that should be clearly noted on the title. The fact that Carfax says it's salvage is of no value. Carfax reports are generally of little or no value. Why on Earth did you pay for a vehicle search after you bought it? That's just silly.

Do you have the vehicle title? Does is say on the title that the vehicle is a salvage rebuild?

Intentional misrepresentation of a salvage vehicle and any other than such may be a felony in Florida.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0319/Sections/0319.30.html

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0319/Sections/0319.30.html

Have you contacted the DHSMV?

Craigslist is loaded with scams. Salvage title cars are one of the primary scams out there. Do your research before you let loose your hard earned money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seller provided a clean title (a document provided by a governmental entity.) How do you intend to prove that the seller was aware that Carfax (a private company) had information showing otherwise.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Over on the right side of the ad, there's a selectable data item which states "Title Status: Clean". That information is provided by the seller when posting the ad.

If the vehicle is actually rebuilt salvage, that should be clearly noted on the title. The fact that Carfax says it's salvage is of no value. Carfax reports are generally of little or no value. Why on Earth did you pay for a vehicle search after you bought it? That's just silly.

Do you have the vehicle title? Does is say on the title that the vehicle is a salvage rebuild?

Intentional misrepresentation of a salvage vehicle and any other than such may be a felony in Florida.

Have you contacted the DHSMV?

Craigslist is loaded with scams. Salvage title cars are one of the primary scams out there. Do your research before you let loose your hard earned money.
Carfax is not 100% reliable. They have bad information, left, right and center quite frankly. Why? Because it is basically self reporting information and NOT verifiable information. But I do agree that he did not do due diligence. If the title doesn't say salvage, he has no case. If the title does say salvage, then why did he ACCEPT IT!????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">