• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this false advertising?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eyezz

What is the name of your state? CA

I recently went to my local Verizon Wireless store to buy a new cell phone that was advertised. It is advertised as being "regular retail price" of 149.99 with a 50 mail in rebate. When I went to the store to buy this phone I saw that the price on it was "full retail price" of 249.99 with no rebate? What is the difference between "regular" and "full" retail price? I didn't know there was a difference. This is very fishy to me.

djohnson

Did they not sell you the phone at the ad offer? The difference is full retail is the suggested price that it could be sold for. The regualr price is the price they regularly sell it for. What happened? What is the rest of the story?

eyezz

No, they did not sell the phone at the "Regular Retail" price to me. They said that since I was not a brand new customer that I was not eligible for that price, but I could pay the "Full Retail" price for it. I have been a subscriber to Verizon's service for over 10 years when it was called Contel Cellular, so this was a huge disappointment to me. I think I should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or I wonder if I could file one with the FCC.

Happy Trails

eyezz said:
No, they did not sell the phone at the "Regular Retail" price to me. They said that since I was not a brand new customer that I was not eligible for that price, but I could pay the "Full Retail" price for it. I have been a subscriber to Verizon's service for over 10 years when it was called Contel Cellular, so this was a huge disappointment to me. I think I should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or I wonder if I could file one with the FCC.
Did the ad state you had to be a new customer?

eyezz

This is exactly what the ad says, "Regular retail price $149.99 less $50 mail-in rebate on phone. New 2-year agreement required per phone." My interpretation of that is that the phone is on sale for $99.99 after rebate with new 2-year agreement, but if you wanted to buy the phone without a new 2-year agreement, it would be the "regular retail price" of $149.99. If there is a way to post the actual ad, I can scan it for all to interpret.

Happy Trails

eyezz said:
This is exactly what the ad says, "Regular retail price $149.99 less $50 mail-in rebate on phone. New 2-year agreement required per phone." My interpretation of that is that the phone is on sale for $99.99 after rebate with new 2-year agreement, but if you wanted to buy the phone without a new 2-year agreement, it would be the "regular retail price" of $149.99. If there is a way to post the actual ad, I can scan it for all to interpret.
No, sorry. They are trying to bring in customers to use their service. So it is offered to those who will come in on a 2-year contract.

Nice try though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">