• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family turns on Family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anhamilton1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

Aunt took over payments on 1997 Ford Explorer March 2005. The total amount owed was $1600. Insurance, Tag and Title remained in my name.
Agreement was Aunt would pay for her part of the insurance; which came up to be $35/month. Insurance was covered from March 2005 to March 2009: Total amount $1690 (35x48 mths). I do not know an exact amount that was paid towards that, but aunt will agree that it wasn’t even half.

In November 2008, her son got into an accident in the vehicle. I was not going to claim it on my insurance at all, but she kept asking me to. I told her that I was going to get the difference when my insurance goes up. The total amount USAA gave for the totaled Ford Explorer was $1894.39 (this was not immediately received). The vehicle remained parked at the aunt’s residence, but was told by me not to drive it on that tag, nor to let anyone else drive it. Her son still drove it and got into ANOTHER accident in April 2009.

Insurance went up $228 from Jan 09 to Jul 09 for the first wreck. My insurance just got renewed and it is still up $197 for the first wreck. The wreck will remain on my insurance until Jan 2012 (3 yrs). For one year it went up $425. It still has two more years. This is NOT including the wreck in April; that will start in Jan 2010 and remain on my insurance. Not to mention a totaled vehicle was wrecked; so not sure how much those premiums will go up.

To sum it up:
Aunt paid off 1997 Fort Explorer: $1600
Agreed to pay Insurance: $35/mth totaling $1690; approx $400 was paid
First Accident: So far has cost me $425; amount issued FROM USAA to me was $1849.39
Second Accident: Hasn’t went to underwriting yet

She said she is entitled to that money; my question is…whose money is it? If it were to be split due to the circumstances…what is fair? I am afraid if I only take the amount the insurance went up right now…then I will never see the rest of it. She is out of work and her husband is drawing unemployment…plus I couldn’t even get her to give me $35/mth for insurance. What should I do.
I haven’t even mentioned the phone I got for her and she gave to her son and he ran my phone bill completely up. I had to have it turned off twice. I finally just took the whole phone off my account. I ran the figures and I am owed a total of $227 from the phone bill. It was MUCH higher, but Sprint took some stuff off for me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">