• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father reneged on promise to buy house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twiceafool

What is the name of your state? North Carolina. After being estranged from my father for years after my parents divorced, he tracked me down and we reconciled. We had a good relationship for 7 years or so, and often visited each other when I lived in Atlanta and he lived here in western North Carolina. He'd often ask me to move here, and several times offered to buy me a house, but jobs were scarce and I didn't feel right about him having to support me totally. However, I did change my job in Atlanta to one that afforded me the ability to work over the Internet from home, and moved here as soon as I could. Shortly before my move here, he met and married a woman 2 years older than myself, after having only known her 3 months, and whom I had never met. He was 68 years old at the time. Having his happiness at heart, I welcomed her into our family when we met and visited in Atlanta and in North Carolina. I asked them both point blank if they still wanted my fiance and I to move here, and they both heartily agreed. They both also said at that time they would help us buy a house. After we moved here, my father said on two different occasions over the next two years that he would help me, but just to wait because his funds were tied up. Meaning, she was spending all of his money, of which there is a lot. However, the house wasn't all that important, after all; it was being close again to my dad. Well, folks, guess what's happened now? We are completely estranged again. He made her part of a living trust and she has him walking on eggshells over me, and I am completely out of the picture. From his sisters I know that he has put her 4 grown children in his will, and that he has broken into his own trust that he was living off of, is drinking incredibly heavily (he admitted to me to 6 scotches a day), and even went so far as to tell our parish priest that he wanted no contact with me. I ended up in therapy fora year over all this. In the meantime, my fiance and I have married and bought a house of our own. I know you can't make someone talk to you, but I am pissed off. Once again, now as an adult, I feel abandoned. Since he did offer to help me buy a house as recently as 2 years ago, is there a breach of contract here? Can I sue him or her for emotional pain and suffering, as well as the cost of therapy? Also, I have copies of terrible e-mails from her "kicking me out of the family" and so on that have turned the stomachs of my therapist and my priest. After my offer of mediation with our parish priest (we are Catholic but he no longer attends since his marriage) was turned down last year, I have made no contact with them at all. Now I just want monetary damages for the grief this man has caused me all through my life. Do I have legal recourse here? :confused:

FarmerJ

I dont think you do have any legal option Your fathers drinking seems to reveal his unhappyness . Your father will have to take action on his own RE his wifes control over his life . And you need to keep on your path of trying to heal from this . Try to find some place in your heart to allow for forgiveness if it is asked for . Keep contact with your aunt Perhaps your father will come around on his own . Find away to separate what your church teaches RE marriage and the reality that your dad may need your support If he elects to terminate this marriage .

Souix

I agree with Farmer J. Your father hurt you and it is only natural to want to hurt him back. I say, get on with your life and try to build a better future for yourself. One day your father may need you and threats of lawsuits will only drive a wedge between you and your family. Good Luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">