• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty Brakes and Fraudelent Warranty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danaleebell0666

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I purchased a saab convertible. The brakes on it were bad and me being young figured it was something minor like brake pads needed changed. the warranty holder lead me on believing my car was covered when it was not. When i took the car back to the dealership and made them not of this they agreed to fixing my car at no expense. they called often within two weeks making excuses as to why they could not fix my car. excuses like "car was caked with mud underneath" and "brake calipers were painted". When we went over warranty we found 3 things wrong. 1. they did not check which plan i had out of three. 2. the dealer representative did not sign the warranty like he was supposed to. 3. in fine print the warranty states it excludes the saab completely.

It came down to the dealership claiming the car was 100 percent not fixable and would not ever pass inspection again. I asked for the money back for my car 4,987 dollars. They turned me downearing ca. The next day they call saying the car is fixable all of the sudden? how can i trust them being this was the 3rd time they were trying to agree to fix my car. I turned them down, was very stressed out and late for work. I decided they were interfearing with my work and i stopped speaking with them. a couple days later i filed a civil suit. When the hearing came i went in without a lawyer. the defendants lawyer claimed my case could not be heard in clearfield county b/c i purchased car in centre. that was the end of that. I am now awaiting the hearing date for centre county and i am going in with a lawyer this time.. They are countersuing me for all parts they put on the car totaling 1047.00.

The thing i dont understand is for one, how can they do this? and for two, they listed parts that have nothing to do with the brakes that i have never requested. Example like "fixed convertible top gears".

What are my chances in getting money back for my car? or do you think i will get stuck with the car.

any advice? opinions? anything? HELP!

OHRoadwarrior

What you were led to believe and what your contract said matter. What did the window sticker say regarding a warranty? Did you keep it? Was the inspection sticker current? What do you have in writing on the repair agreement? Why did you not have the car inspected if you thought the brakes were bad before buying it? Any car can be fixed with enough work and the proper parts.

danaleebell0666

Lead to believe the car would be covered because of the brake situation. I did not test drive the car, my grandfather did. Him being old either didnt notice or thought it was no big deal. I have nothing in writing for the repairs. The only thing I have is the actual warranty and voicemails from the warranty holder leading me to believe my car would be covered and then coming back on me saying it was not.

they are still currently in possession of the car b/c i would not sign a waiver to have the car released to me stating i was 100% sure the brakes were faulty. I left the car with them.

justalayman

I would believe you would have a reasonable argument you deserve a refund for the purchase of the warranty, if it an was added sales item.

If that was critical to you purchasing the car, you may be able to argue they need to provide a warrant that actually covers Saab's or rescind the sale.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you read the disclaimers for the warranty regarding situations where it is not granted. You have not given information on the status of the inspection sticker.

OHRoadwarrior

Generally aftermarket warranties exclude brake components as I recollect. If the pedal was soft and it was not a leak, I suspect the brake booster is bad.

justalayman

You purchased a warranty that didn't cover the exact thing you were buying? :confused:
apparently the person selling it believed it covered the Saab. A purchaser does get to rely on the person recommending the product. This ends up being a case of a warranty of fitness for a specific purpose. Salesman said; this warranty covers your car. It doesn't. Purchaser is due a refund for that, at least (if it was a separate purchase) and maybe a rescission of the sale if the determination to make the purchase was predicated on the inclusion or availability of the warranty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">