• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty car repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawnandjohn99

I had my car repaired in California; new front tires, 4 wheel alignment, and nitrogen in all 4 tires. I am military so I had to move back to NY so naturally we drove cross country. After getting back to NY I put my car in the shop to get an oil change at the Nissan dealership. They did a free inspection and a free 4 wheel alignment check. The tech told the service manager that my vehicle is out of alignment (all four), my rear tires need to be replaced they are shot, and I have two different size tires on the front of my car. The service manager show me this problem and I call Express tire where I had my car repaired. At first they denied everything but then asked to speak to the service manager and of course he confimed everything with Express tire. After getting back on the phone with them I was put in contact with their corporate office which of course later called me back with what they are going to do about the issue. They tell me that they will give me all of my money back I paid them but first I must remove the tires off my vehicle and mail them back to them on their dime. Of course I did not agree and told them they need to fix the vehicle and all work will be performed at the Nissan dealership; replacing my front tires, my alignment, and now my rear tires.

They refused to do anything like that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had my car repaired in California; new front tires, 4 wheel alignment, and nitrogen in all 4 tires. I am military so I had to move back to NY so naturally we drove cross country. After getting back to NY I put my car in the shop to get an oil change at the Nissan dealership. They did a free inspection and a free 4 wheel alignment check. The tech told the service manager that my vehicle is out of alignment (all four), my rear tires need to be replaced they are shot, and I have two different size tires on the front of my car. The service manager show me this problem and I call Express tire where I had my car repaired. At first they denied everything but then asked to speak to the service manager and of course he confimed everything with Express tire. After getting back on the phone with them I was put in contact with their corporate office which of course later called me back with what they are going to do about the issue. They tell me that they will give me all of my money back I paid them but first I must remove the tires off my vehicle and mail them back to them on their dime. Of course I did not agree and told them they need to fix the vehicle and all work will be performed at the Nissan dealership; replacing my front tires, my alignment, and now my rear tires.

I agree with the service facility.
You would need to give the shop the opportunity to correct the problem.

BL

See if Express Advertisement have the BBB Logo.

OK , first check with The Cal. BBB and see if Express is in their records and in good standing.

If so , they may not want a ding on their record. That could go to your advantage.

If so , contact them again and state that they agreed the tires were wrong which created the alignment issue and they should cover it all.

If they still will not budge , you could file a complaint with the BBB , that won't get you action ,but may get their attention.

You could file a complaint with the Office Of Attorney General-consumer Affairs , pay for your repairs ( as you would want that done immediately ) , and request a refund of all related expenses, minus the money you received for sending the tires back.

The OAG has the correct consumer contact persons information to forward your complaint to. It could take up to 30 days or longer and there is no guaranty of a positive response ,or a response at all.

If they are a reputable Co. though , you should receive a response and hope for the best.

Last option is to repair ,and sue.

Mail them back the tires on their dime. Make sure you have a confirmation of mailing them. They will send what they promised.

Last edited:

Zigner

The shop may have installed the CORRECT front tires and it's the rear's that are wrong. Not that it matters. It wouldn't create enough of an alignment issue that it would destroy the back tires.

The OP could have had some sort of collision (ie: bumping a curb) that caused the new alignment issue.

The OP would need to allow the shop the opportunity to correct the problem. The OP is not going to win a lawsuit against the original shop in this matter.

BL

The shop may have installed the CORRECT front tires and it's the rear's that are wrong. Not that it matters. It wouldn't create enough of an alignment issue that it would destroy the back tires.

The OP could have had some sort of collision (ie: bumping a curb) that caused the new alignment issue.

The OP would need to allow the shop the opportunity to correct the problem. The OP is not going to win a lawsuit against the original shop in this matter.
That completely slipped my mind .

A cross country journey and anything could have caused the misalignment.

Unless the Nissan Dealer Service Dept. says otherwise,forget about that.

Buy new tires ,get the alignment and send back the tires for your money .

Let's not also discount that the OP says the 2 front tires were different sizes from each other. At the very least, it's a careless thing to do on the shop's behalf.

Zigner

Let's not also discount that the OP says the 2 front tires were different sizes from each other. At the very least, it's a careless thing to do on the shop's behalf.
I read it that the tires on the front are different size than the ones on the back. If I misread that, then the fault of the original shop becomes more apparent (but it wouldn't affect the alignment)

HOWEVER, none of this changes the fact that the OP needs to allow the shop the opportunity to correct the problem.

BL

I read it that the tires on the front are different size than the ones on the back. If I misread that, then the fault of the original shop becomes more apparent (but it wouldn't affect the alignment)

HOWEVER, none of this changes the fact that the OP needs to allow the shop the opportunity to correct the problem.
From the first post.

They tell me that they will give me all of my money back I paid them but first I must remove the tires off my vehicle and mail them back to them on their dime
Agree to it.

It will cover 2 new tires and your alignmement.

If you feel you must file a comlaint with the OAG about the rears.

OHRoadwarrior

I don't get why OP refuses to cooperate with the proposed refund process. They now code RFID chips in tires, with the vehicles VIN. If you are trying to scam them, they will know, when they get the tires back.

Last edited:
Since the tires need to be replaced anyway (and just driving out of the parking lot can knock the alignment off), and the first place is willing to foot the bill to have the tires shipped back (as they should), what's the problem with agreeing to this? It's not reasonable to expect them to give a refund without the tires back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">