• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty car stereo installation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cell76

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
I need some adive on how hard I should push this issue and what I can get out of it...
I had a car stereo system installed by a licensed shop about 2 months ago.
The day I got the car back, upon visual inspection, I noticed that my cars interior was filthy...scuff marks and wire trimmings everywhere. I let it go because they had my car all day and I just wanted it back.
After getting it home and tweaking some of the settings on the amp to get it to sound how I wanted, I noticed they hadnt installed the amp in a way that it could be ventilatied and cooled off when used. Gripe # 2 which I let go...
The next day, I took it to the dealership I bought it from to have the oil changed. When the tech called me back to tell me my car was ready...he informed me that he found something that he was concerned about that should be taken care of immediately...It turns out that the installer who ran the power cord from the battery to the amp ( 12 volts of live/continuous power going on here...) failed to use the designated wire harness to run the cord thru the interior...instead, he drilled a hole 9without my permission) thru the firewall to the outide (under my car) and then back up thru my floorbaord into the interior. To make matters even worse, he left the hole raw! So basically I had a power cord with 12 volts of continuous pwer outide of my car, rubbing against the raw, sharp edge on the hole. At best, once it ate thru the wire, it wouldve shorted my whole electrical system...worst case scenario and most likely...my car wouldve caught on fire.
I called them immeditaley about it and they had me bring my car in so they could rerun it the correct way, which they did, from what i could see...and then just plugged up ONE of the holes with "dum dum"
I called them the next day and asked them when they were actually going to FIX the holes, the installer said he'd get back to me. He never did. I called them back after 2 weeks of waiting and threatened legal action.
Someone finally got back to me and told me theyd schedule me to bring my car in to have the holes patched up.
Then, they turn around and cancel it, saying the body shop was busy and theyd have to reschedule me. i still havent gotten any call back yet.
What should I / can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">