• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Female CO I Think I Got Taken

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissScarlett

Hello
I live in Colorado Springs, CO. My less than 1 year old Compaq computer had a problem. At a relatives recommendation I took it to a local small computer sales & repair place.
My son took the computer down there for me and I originally wanted just to have a new hard drive installed hoping that was the problem, I had numerous telephone consults with Compaq techs about it first.
My son called and said they had a Gateway that was about 2 months old and would I like to just buy that instead as installing the hard drive would be nearly as much as the Gateway to buy.
So I did. My husband paid and brought home the computer.
The computer salesman/tech asked what about the Compaq and said he could take it on consignment like the Gateway I had bought was done. I agreed and we to split the price of the result of the sale of the computer.
This was now about 2-1/2 months ago. Every time I would call to talk to Mr. ABC he was always away for a week or out sick but the other person there said he must have sold the computer since he couldn't find it in the shop or on the shelves of for sale items.
Meanwhile, I found that Gateway has a second-owner warranty you can buy. But.......when I called and was in the process of purchasing the waranty I was unable to find the serial number for the machine. The Gateway rep told me exactly where they put it and it wasn't there or anywhere else.
Many times the manufacturer will install the serial number with the Operating system - in this case Microsoft ME. Not there either. I did a dump - printed out - the system files and it was a jumble of call kinds of manufacturers software everyone but Gateway. I called about the serial number and his answer was don't worry, we'll take care of it ourselves.
I talked to my relative - who works for a computer manufacturer - and he went down and talked to them and he said he thought it would be alright.
Mr. ABC now says he owes me no money and has sold my computer. As I said it was less than 1 year old and loaded. About $2,000.00 + with DVD. CD-write, 30 Gig HD etc.
So I have a computer with no serial number
No money for my computer. And a nasty sale/tech rep.
I have all the paperwork for both the computer he sold to me and the Compaq that was mine. I never signed anything over to him regarding the Compaq - my original computer with the HD that needed replacing.
What can I do at this point. Should I report it as stollen. Call the BBB, file a small claims suit, or just learn from my mistakes?
Thank you very much for any guiding light.
Barbara

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">