• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Payment marked check cashed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kisatsky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I had retained a lawyer in NJ for a divorce proceeding. The orignal retainer was $7500 which was paid. The final invoice came in for payment and it was $32500.00 A check was written for $25000 marked 'Paid in Full'. The check was cash. Now I am receiving an invoice for $7500 balance due.

Am I legal bonded to this? A check was clearly marked 'Paid in Full' and cashed and not disputed or questioned. Is this not a conclusion of the business agreement?

Antigone*

I had retained a lawyer in NJ for a divorce proceeding. The orignal retainer was $7500 which was paid. The final invoice came in for payment and it was $32500.00 A check was written for $25000 marked 'Paid in Full'. The check was cash. Now I am receiving an invoice for $7500 balance due.

Am I legal bonded to this? A check was clearly marked 'Paid in Full' and cashed and not disputed or questioned. Is this not a conclusion of the business agreement?
So you are saying the 32,500 included the 7,500 retainer and they say it is not, is that correct?

Who wrote "paid in full" and where did they write it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You aren't gonna get away with cheating the lawyer so easily :rolleyes:

justalayman

The final invoice came in for payment and it was $32500.00 A check was written for $25000 marked 'Paid in Full'
the invoice was for $32,500, not $25,000. You owe $7500. Pay up.

Am I legal bonded to this?
I don't know if you are bonded or not but you are bound by your agreement.

You owe $7500. Pay up.

A check was written for $25000 marked 'Paid in Full'.
Who ever told you that trick would work was wrong.

You owe $7500. Pay up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">