• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired unlicensed contractor and now he has debt collector after me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnmil2000

I hired a contractor for bathroom remodeling. There were no contract written or signed. I paid them half upfront of the total amount with a check that was paid out to a person and not the business. They kept missing appointments and the work was very sloppy. After several missed appointments, I decided to fire the contractor and asked him to pick up his tools. He did agree to pay part of the deposit back but later then decided to get a collection agency after me for the full amount of the contract where half was already paid saying I breached the contract by hiring another contractor. I have yet to hire another contractor as I am still getting quotes. I did have someone come and take a look at the work that was already done and they said it had to be redone. What should I do?

I later did some research on this guy and he has no license and his business is not registered. should have did this before but this was a wife's co-workers husband. also found out that this guy just got out of jail last year. the co-worker has quit her job a month ago.

latigo

I hired a contractor for bathroom remodeling. There were no contract written or signed. I paid them half upfront of the total amount with a check that was paid out to a person and not the business. They kept missing appointments and the work was very sloppy. After several missed appointments, I decided to fire the contractor and asked him to pick up his tools. He did agree to pay part of the deposit back but later then decided to get a collection agency after me for the full amount of the contract where half was already paid saying I breached the contract by hiring another contractor. I have yet to hire another contractor as I am still getting quotes. I did have someone come and take a look at the work that was already done and they said it had to be redone. What should I do?

I later did some research on this guy and he has no license and his business is not registered. should have did this before but this was a wife's co-workers husband. also found out that this guy just got out of jail last year. the co-worker has quit her job a month ago.
I would have you stop reacting and act. Like filing a lawsuit against the creep for HIS breach of contract and ask for a full refund of the up front money.

Also it would be well that you become acquaint with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (state and federal) to learn if the sleaze ball of a "collection agency" has committed, acts, threats, etc., in violation of those laws.

As to any legal consequences relating to the absence of licensing I can't say. You might inquire of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

johnmil2000

I would have you stop reacting and act. Like filing a lawsuit against the creep for HIS breach of contract and ask for a full refund of the up front money.

Also it would be well that you become acquaint with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (state and federal) to learn if the sleaze ball of a "collection agency" has committed, acts, threats, etc., in violation of those laws.

As to any legal consequences relating to the absence of licensing I can't say. You might inquire of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

Thanks. I reported this to the tldr and filed a complaint.
but do I have to wait for this to be taken care of before I hire another contractor to start work? The new contractor said they will take videos and photos before they start.
Its already been about a month and I need to get this bathroom remodeling done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">