• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida "vacation" refund? (Please respond)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abell787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My question: Does a Florida-based travel company have to observe the Florida state statute "Sellers of Travel Act" regardless of the purchaser's state of residency?

Back story: My fiancé just registered for a cruise in Florida for June of 2010. She had responded to a promotional mailing and called the Florida-based travel agency, Caribbean Cruise Line, to get more details.

The sales rep (and his manager) were very smooth-talking, pushy types and were not really giving her time to think things over, pressing for immediate registration and payment. Normally my fiancé is very leery of these types of offers, but this time she let her guard down because it was for our honeymoon and she wanted to get a good deal. After registering, she went online and did some digging on this company.

It turns out that this company has countless complaints against them for false and/or misleading advertising, failure to perform contractual obligations, and extremely poor customer service, among other things.

Upon discovering this, she immediately called the company back and requested a refund. They flat-out denied her request, stating the company has a 'no refunds' policy. She cited the Florida state law "Sellers of Travel Act" section 559.933 which covers vacation certificate cancellation and refund provisions. This reads: "--It shall be unlawful for any seller of travel or assignee: (1) To fail or refuse to honor a purchaser's vacation certificate request to cancel if such request is made: (a) Within 30 days from the date of purchase or receipt of the vacation certificate, whichever occurs later." It goes on but this is the part that applies to our situation. The rep then told my fiancé that they do not have to observe this statute since she does not live in Florida (she lives in Ohio).

My question is this: does a Florida-based company have to observe the Florida state statute "Sellers of Travel Act" regardless of the purchaser's state of residency?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer. We are going to contact the agency again in a few days and would like to know by then if what the rep said is accurate

swalsh411

Yes you are covered by that protection because the seller is in Florida but good luck getting them to honor it. 10 seconds on google shows that they are clearly a scammy company. If you complain to the State you may get your money back but who knows how long it will take. Did you pay by credit card?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">