• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Force rescission car purchase because saleman did not clarify additional modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James.No.Tears

Hi,

State: Socal

My case is basically like this. My dad went to a dealer asking for pricing on the new 2012 Rav4. He spent quite a bit there talking to the salemen and sale managers there. They are all Vietnamese so it clicked and good time and whatnot.

Sometime passes, they came to an agreement on the price of the Rav4 - 31k as long as he gets to trade in the Corolla for 9k toward it. He made this stipulation very clear and also must be 9k no more no less. He almost walk out like twice when the dealer lowballs the trade-in. Then while they process the paperwork, my dad went outside for a smoke. According to him, the sale manager's responsible for that deal at the time went out soon after and out of the blue asked him, and I quote, "lower the price of the car for tax's purpose". Of course this was in Vietnamese, but this translation is verbatim. Now I must mention this also, my dad is not a sophisticate man so when the sale manager said this he assumed the Rav4 and not the Corolla. As a result dad responded back "sure, as long as you're not shorting me" - also verbatim translation. Afterward they came in and my dad sign for the car and went home. Of course once my dad got home then it hit him that the trade in has been put down for only 6k instead of 9k.

What the sale manager did in a nutshell was subtract 3k from the 31k AND the 9k, effectively lowered the price of the Rav4 AND the trade-in. So what they agreed orally on 31k w/ 9k, turned into 29k w/ 6k expressively.

----

Now here is my issue, the sale manager did not clarify which car's prices he was asking for the deduction. When I ask him about it later, he said he meant the Corolla at the time. So if I file a suit against him and the dealer for Fradulent & Misrepresenation, would I be able to rescind the Rav4 contract and recover for expenses??

We have been trying to get this rescind in-house with the dealer, but because of their work schedule it's taking us several trips already to just get to talk to the right people. Because of this my dad had to skip several workdays, could I demand Lost Wages from them for recovery??

Additional info, the Corolla was under my name. I were not there during the paperwork but I was in touch with my dad and several of the salemen and gen manager via phone. I even talked to them via phone and several times asked them of the price before taxes and final price, but for some reason they passed me around instead of giving me a straight answer. It was not then later one guy told me 256XX before taxes but of course it was not very clear; regardless I took that to heart anyway. Later they sent someone to our place to get my signatures for the trade in. The whole time during my signing, I was under the belief that the car was going to be traded in for 9k and not 6k. I even asked the guy that came why on the DMV paper it read 6k, but he just brushed it off as nothing and told me to hurry up as it was also quite late then.

This bring me to my 2nd issue: Could I force the Rav4 contract to be rescinded under the premise of Misrepresentation of the trade in for my part?? This is more of a back-up plan in case the above doesnt prevail.

Lastly, is filling the suit against the dealer directly under the premise of Respondeat Superior a more viable choice?? perhaps forcing them to settle as we arent not fond of court.

Thank you and please let me know

Last edited:

justalayman

you can't file a suit against anybody. This is your dad's issue/ You might have an action against your father if he did have the right to represent you and allowed the Corrolla to be purchased for less than you had told him you would accept.

Additional info, the Corolla was under my name.
so, how was your father offering your car as a trade in?

What difference does it make whether the sale was $31k and the trade in $9k or the sale being $29k, wait a minute. You do realize that $31k minus $3k is not actually $29 k, right but $28k?

So what they agreed orally on 31k w/ 9k, turned into 29k w/ 6k expressively
and your father signed the sales agreement, correct? He had the opportunity to read the contract, right? and he still signed it, right?

just what is your argument?

I see no difference in the two different pricing situations. If $3k was actually deducted from each vehicles price, the difference in price remains the same at $22k so what is the problem?

las365

Later they sent someone to our place to get my signatures for the trade in. The whole time during my signing, I was under the belief that the car was going to be traded in for 9k and not 6k. I even asked the guy that came why on the DMV paper it read 6k, but he just brushed it off as nothing and told me to hurry up as it was also quite late then.
Can't even sue Dad, as OP signed the paperwork himself after seeing the trade-in amount was $6K.

James.No.Tears

Hi and thank you for your reply,

I am not filling it but my dad will. The Corolla is under my name, but my parents bough it. Im fine with the trade it, but at the time I was not aware that they pulled that crap. Oh and sorry, 28k.

Honestly, that deal was just stupidly overpriced and we just want to rescind the whole thing. Basically they hosed my dad cause at the time it was all happy fun time and whatnot. Of course that is not easily so, so we're looking at this as a way to force it.

davidmcbeth3

I see 2011 models on an online auction site running between 26-34K (depending on package). So I don't think your father got hosed on the deal he made.

Always check online auction sites .. I have taken in online listings before and I never had a dealer say he could not match the price on a similar car.

sandyclaus

Hi and thank you for your reply,

I am not filling it but my dad will. The Corolla is under my name, but my parents bough it. Im fine with the trade it, but at the time I was not aware that they pulled that crap. Oh and sorry, 28k.

Honestly, that deal was just stupidly overpriced and we just want to rescind the whole thing. Basically they hosed my dad cause at the time it was all happy fun time and whatnot. Of course that is not easily so, so we're looking at this as a way to force it.
Hosed or not, it was your dad's responsibility to read and understand the sales contract before signing it. If the amounts on that sales contract did not match with what he had agreed upon with the salesperson, then he should not have signed. If your dad did not understand what was written on the contract, he needed to have someone independent of the deal look it over and make sure that it said what he thought it did.

The bottom line is that when your dad signed the contract, he agreed to the terms set out on the deal. There's no rescinding the deal because he now thinks that it was overpriced. Even if they did misrepresent the deal on paper, then your dad should have caught the discrepancy and not signed the contract. When he signed, that made it a binding agreement.

Your Dad has no case to sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">