• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery i think?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohlorddontbuyme

Virginia here to start off with. The situation is very...crappy. Girl borrows $1100 from her father and agrees to pay him $100 every two weeks. she has paid back about $400 but didn't have the money to make her last payment. Next payment is this week and she was going to make it but he says that he's just going to sign over her federal income tax return to himself and they're even. She doesn't want him to do this but isn't sure how to stop him. He says he'll take her to court if she doesn't give him the full tax return (which will be a little more than $700). How can she prevent him from forging the check? Also he is the one that prepared her tax return for her. Lastly she offered to give him $200 (this week's and the week's she missed) from the tax return but this was not good enough for the father.

Thanks

S

seniorjudge

ohlorddontbuyme said:
Virginia here to start off with. The situation is very...crappy. Girl borrows $1100 from her father and agrees to pay him $100 every two weeks. she has paid back about $400 but didn't have the money to make her last payment. Next payment is this week and she was going to make it but he says that he's just going to sign over her federal income tax return to himself and they're even. She doesn't want him to do this but isn't sure how to stop him. He says he'll take her to court if she doesn't give him the full tax return (which will be a little more than $700). How can she prevent him from forging the check? Also he is the one that prepared her tax return for her. Lastly she offered to give him $200 (this week's and the week's she missed) from the tax return but this was not good enough for the father.

Thanks
Q: How can she prevent him from forging the check?

A: Pay the debt.

ohlorddontbuyme

she's offered to pay off the week she was late and this week's but he declined stating he would just (basically) open her mail and get the check, sign it and cash it for himself.

btw she is 20 and when she filed she was independent....now she is back living with her parents temporarily

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

ohlorddontbuyme said:
she's offered to pay off the week she was late and this week's but he declined stating he would just (basically) open her mail and get the check, sign it and cash it for himself.
My suggestion to pay your debt off would solve this problem.

ohlorddontbuyme

if by debt you mean the full amount, she doesn't have the $700 (if she did she wouldn't have had to borrow it in the first place). Thats also why there was a payment plan set up. now that she's trying to pay the way the plan was set up (paying the extra one hundred from last payment plus this week's). So once again i pose the question of how can we stop him from just signing over the check, this is illegal isn't it? (kinda the way i was going there)

S

seniorjudge

ohlorddontbuyme said:
if by debt you mean the full amount, she doesn't have the $700 (if she did she wouldn't have had to borrow it in the first place). Thats also why there was a payment plan set up. now that she's trying to pay the way the plan was set up (paying the extra one hundred from last payment plus this week's). So once again i pose the question of how can we stop him from just signing over the check, this is illegal isn't it? (kinda the way i was going there)
Signing another person's name is forgery. (That is the EXTREMELY GENERAL answer.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">