• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud/misrepresentation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lagnaippe

Alabama

How realistic is it to expect to get my money back?

I purchased a demonstration vehicle from a new car dealership. The SUV was sold to me as NEW. It had never been titled or licensed. I found out a week later that it had been wrecked and repaired. When I tried to return the SUV and get my trade-in car back, the dealership said they had sold my car the day after they sold me the SUV. I told them to keep the SUV and I asked for my deposit back and the cost of installing a trailer hitch. The dealership basically told me to pound sand.

Further background:
I bought the SUV in May 2001. It was sold to me as NEW. No one informed me that it had been wrecked and repaired. One week later, I had a trailer hitch professionally installed. During the installation, the installer and I discovered the vehicle had been damaged and repaired.

I immediately tried to contact my salesperson. It took many calls and another week before I heard from the owner of the dealership. The owner said that a car had "brushed up" against the SUV while it was in a parking lot. (I disagree. The extent of the damage is more than cosmetic. Parts no longer fit properly.) He had been aware of the accident and of the repair but said that they had "forgotten" to log it into their own records or to mention it to me. I asked to return the SUV and to get my own car but it had been sold the following day. I asked for a refund of my deposit and the cost of the trailer hitch. The owner refused.

O

OpieDopie

I have heard of a similar case like this in california. Just because the dealership "forgot" to log the damage, is probably an issue of negligence/fraud.

The case I heard of, the customer was able to return the car, but was awarded punitive damages against the dealership. Go speak to a local lawyer. I'm sure they could create a great case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">