• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud victim - recourse with CC company?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jandk

I live in Washington State, and have a timeshare condo in Hawaii, which we have been trying to sell. A company approached us about buying our condo, but first I was asked to get an appraisal. The company indicated that they would reimburse is for the appraisal fee ($399), in their written offer for our timeshare.

We paid for (via credit card, 3-4 months ago) and did receive an appraisal from a company in Nevada (Preferred Appraisal), but it now appears that the whole thing was a scam to get us to buy an "appraisal" from this company. I guess I have three questions: 1) How do I determine if the "appraisal" is real and valid (the appraisal company seems to have disappeared, so I'm sure it was a scam)?, and 2) if is/was a scam, do I have any recourse with the credit card company? and 3) if I don't have recourse with the credit card company, do I have any other options, or have I just learned a $400 lesson?

Thanks for any reponses.

[Edited by jandk on 05-30-2001 at 12:43 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">