• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelscutie1013

Rochester, NY

I worked with an event planner who had me sign a contract that after temination (voluntary or no) I would be unable to work with an event planner or start my own business doing the same.

I worked a total of six days, two of which was only 4 hours per day. When I was terminated I called her lawyer to see if I would be let out of the agreement so I could begin looking for work. He did not see any reason why not, and I asked him to have my former boss send me, in writing, that I was released. I never recieved this.

Now when I was terminated one of the reasons violated the Equal Employment Act and I filed a complaint with the State of NY Dept of Human Rights against her. I have been unemployed for about 8 weeks now. I have a chance to start my own business and am afraid, I have verbal release from her lawyer but NOT her. I am also afraid that with the economy the way it is at this time I will be unable to find work and this is my only option.

Please let me know what you think...and let me know if you need any additional details.

H

hexeliebe

Most states do not enforce such an agreement stating that they are "against the public conscience" and this is probably what the attorney was telling you.

Although you are always taking a chance, in this case it's a small one. Still, since initial consultations are cheap or free, I would advise you to contact an attorney and get an opinion based on your state law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">