• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fressdom of Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bert1047

What is the name of your state? New York. I am being harrased through my Nextel phone by someone who knows my private(two way) number. Their # shows up. Nextel said that I need to get a subpeona to find out who the # belongs to. What about Freedom of Information Act??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bert1047 said:
What is the name of your state? New York. I am being harrased through my Nextel phone by someone who knows my private(two way) number. Their # shows up. Nextel said that I need to get a subpeona to find out who the # belongs to. What about Freedom of Information Act??

My response:

The F.O.I.A. is for use to obtain information from governmental entities - - Nextel is not a governmental entity. Nextel is a corporation doing business in New York, and other parts of the country. The Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA") was enacted to ensure public access to official government agency information (documents). [5 USCA § 552 et seq.; EPA v. Mink (1973) 410 U.S. 73, 79, 93 S.Ct. 827, 832]

The Act applies to all agencies of the executive branch and all independent regulatory agencies; e.g., SEC, FTC, ICa Civil and FCC. [5 USCA § 552(f)]

If you want redress against your "stalker", you're going to need to sue that person, and during the litigation process, subpoena the Nextel records. Of course, Nextel may have a defense to such a subpoena and the release of it's records; so, a subpoena may not turn out to be the panacea that you're hoping for.

Good luck.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">