• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Furniture Store Bait and Switch?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lovetron

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was wondering if Bait and Switch is limited to print or online advertising. Here is why I ask:

About a year ago my wife and I bought a fairly expensive bed(expensive for us as we had just gotten married), sofa and loveseat from a chain furniture store. We couldn't afford the Dresser, Armoire, or nightstands to go with the bed, so we figured we would buy it at a later date.

My wife checked on the companies website and the bedroom set was no longer listed. So yesterday, I called the local store and spoke to a salesman. I told him about the set, and asked since I didn't see it online if it had been discontinued. He asked me to describe it and after I did he said it had been discontinued, and they only had the floor model left. I asked him if they could sell it and he said they would sell anything. He said the manager had not yet packaged the floor model deal together but he would give me a discounted price but I had to get down there immediately so they didn't sell it(the floor model). I decided to leave work, drive 25 minutes to get there just to make sure we could get it(we have looked for other, cheaper alternatives to these pieces, but because of the uniqueness of the furniture, there is no other option).

Anyway, when I get to the store we walk up to the furniture, I am ready to buy the floor model. He looks on the computer and sees that there are 13 nightstands, 20 dressers, etc, in the warehouse in Greensboro, NC. So he goes and talks to the manager and he won't sell the floor model, and the salesman says that the product is discontinued and the ones in the warehouse are for all of North Carolina.

I leave fairly upset, but my wife and I both want the furniture and knew it won't last long. So we go back in the afternoon and decide to get the new models. I talked to the manager about the situation and told him I was not happy about the way we were baited into the store. He was docking the salesmans comission to 50% of normal and splitting it with the store. (Helps us none). Then he tells us that the only ones they have are in the Atlanta warehouse and it will be 4-6 weeks for delivery. And he told me that the set is not yet discontinued. So I leave obviously ticked off.

My question is this, what should I do? I had planned to send a letter to the company and tell them what has happened, and pretty much just voice my dissatisfaction. I just want to make sure that this constitutes, if nothing else, unethical business practices. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">