• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Furniture Warranty Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elusivemowgli

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

We bought a mattress and a bed frame from A Furniture. Within a few months of purchasing the wooden frame, it broke. We called the warranty service and were informed they will ship the parts. The parts arrived a month after the complain and then 3 weeks after the arrival they called us and told us they will send someone to put the bed together. We told them we are moving to a new house and if they can come and assemble at the new location. We were told, the warranty is only valid at the address where the furniture was purchased and if we move, it is not applicable. I am angry at my self for not reading the T&C. However, also mad they can put this clause in the warranty. Has anyone else faced a no move clause like this before and is this legal in New York? :( The more and more I search on the web, I find angry complains by people burnt by A Furniture.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

We bought a mattress and a bed frame from A Furniture. Within a few months of purchasing the wooden frame, it broke. We called the warranty service and were informed they will ship the parts. The parts arrived a month after the complain and then 3 weeks after the arrival they called us and told us they will send someone to put the bed together. We told them we are moving to a new house and if they can come and assemble at the new location. We were told, the warranty is only valid at the address where the furniture was purchased and if we move, it is not applicable. I am angry at my self for not reading the T&C. However, also mad they can put this clause in the warranty. Has anyone else faced a no move clause like this before and is this legal in New York? :( The more and more I search on the web, I find angry complains by people burnt by A Furniture.

Thank You

Well, it's not ILlegal. Think about it for a sec - what if it breaks during a move?

That's hardly their fault, y'know?

elusivemowgli

Well, it's not ILlegal. Think about it for a sec - what if it breaks during a move?

That's hardly their fault, y'know?
Based on your logic, anything like a refrigerator, dishwasher, desktop computer will be having the same issue?
And besides here is the problem. They could have fixed it while we are at the place the furniture was delivered/assembled. Because of the pace at which they operate, we won't be at the same place. So still my fault?

Proserpina

Based on your logic, anything like a refrigerator, dishwasher, desktop computer will be having the same issue?
And besides here is the problem. They could have fixed it while we are at the place the furniture was delivered/assembled. Because of the pace at which they operate, we won't be at the same place. So still my fault?

No, dear, not by my logic. By THEIR logic, perhaps.

OHRoadwarrior

200 years ago, they had to build the bed frame, mattress, headboard, as well as make all the linens. Don't you know how to assemble a bed frame?

elusivemowgli

200 years ago, they had to build the bed frame, mattress, headboard, as well as make all the linens. Don't you know how to assemble a bed frame?
200 years ago, when people made stuff and were paid for it, they made good quality stuff. You don't have anything meaningful to offer, so please stay out of it.

OHRoadwarrior

So allow them to assemble the bed frame in old location. According to your smart response, you were planning on moving it assembled anyway. I suggest in the future, you not buy cheap quality furniture, unless in fact, you want cheap quality furniture. My wife likes their stuff and would not listen to me, when I questioned their quality. I just make sure I can rebuild the furniture durably, before I allow her to buy it.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Knowing how to assemble a bed frame, and assembling a bed frame, which is in direct violation of the terms of your warranty, are two different things.

200 years ago, if you spent good money on a product or service, you could expect quality for your money. A Furniture sells low quality products and do not honor the contracts they enter with their customers.

While your quip is cute, it isn't exactly useful.

In OP's case, A IS honoring the warranty - it's the OP who didn't read it fully before buying the furniture/warranty.

Proserpina

Knowing how to assemble a bed frame, and assembling a bed frame, which is in direct violation of the terms of your warranty, are two different things.

200 years ago, if you spent good money on a product or service, you could expect quality for your money. A Furniture sells low quality products and do not honor the contracts they enter with their customers.

While your quip is cute, it isn't exactly useful.

And I'd be careful if I were you - the last thing you'd want is to be on the wrong end of a defamation suit, don't you think?

justalayman

elusivemowgli;3196402]Based on your logic, anything like a refrigerator, dishwasher, desktop computer will be having the same issue?
and she would be correct. Any time you move something there is an additional risk of damage due to the moving.

Your warranty claim is pre-moving so there should be no issue with this being covered, even if you move before it is fixed. Additional damage would apparently not be covered due to the limitations of the warranty.

I suspect assembling the bed frame is not a requirement to repair it. If it is already assembled, they would likely reassemble it if it required to be disassembled to make the repair. If it is not assembled when they get there, it is not likely to be assembled when they leave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">