• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gas company trying to charge me for an apartment I didn't live at

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NHamulak

I am in Ohio -

I moved out of an apartment in November 2008. We called to transfer service at that time to the house we bought. In June of 2009 we get a $600 bill for gas service at the apartment from November through May. We did not live there at this time. I have called them over 5 times and have been given these instructions. First they mailed out an affadavit for me to have notarized and mailed back. I did that and sent it back and now they say they never received it. Then they had me have the apartment complex fax in a copy of the lease which I did, now they say they never got that. They are threatening to disconnect my service at my house unless I pay the $600. Even if I didnt ask them to disconnect the service when I had then transfer it to the new address can I still be liable for a bill somewhere I didn't live? How do I fight this?

BL

I am in Ohio -

I moved out of an apartment in November 2008. We called to transfer service at that time to the house we bought. In June of 2009 we get a $600 bill for gas service at the apartment from November through May. We did not live there at this time. I have called them over 5 times and have been given these instructions. First they mailed out an affadavit for me to have notarized and mailed back. I did that and sent it back and now they say they never received it. Then they had me have the apartment complex fax in a copy of the lease which I did, now they say they never got that. They are threatening to disconnect my service at my house unless I pay the $600. Even if I didnt ask them to disconnect the service when I had then transfer it to the new address can I still be liable for a bill somewhere I didn't live? How do I fight this?
Contact you local Office of Attorney General - consumer affairs .File a complaint . State on two occasion you sent in two different affidavits you were asked to and the Co. claims they did not receive them .

You may want to get both places to sent new affidavits to YOU . Have them both note the prior affidavits .

You then make copies - sending the copies via RRR certified mail to the CO. Advise the CO> you have filed a complaint with the OAG .

Provide the OAG copies also in your complaint . ( this could take some time and no guarantees ) . It should bide you some time though and hopefully come out in your favor.

It would be very unusual that the PO lost both affidavits .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">