• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gas company's mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coylesh

What is the name of your state? New York

For about 6 months I received bills from my gas company telling me that I owed NONE in the amount section. Apparently they crossed lines in my apartment building and I assumed they were crediting me for their mistake. I just moved out of the apartment and just got my third "fina"l bill. This one all of the sudden says I owe them 759$ plus they are threatening legal/collection agency action if i don't pay in ten days. i can't get anyone on the phone from the gas company who knows what they are talking about. Do I have a right to fight the charges? This is their mistake and therefore their burden isn't it?
I'm furious and don't know how to proceed, please help

teflon_jones

Did you use the $759 worth of gas? If so, you're responsible for paying it, regardless of what the previous bills said.

You can assume whatever you want. If they had been charging you double, I'm sure you would have called them, but since the mistake was in your favor, you didn't. In the future, you should call when something doesn't seem right. Don't assume anything or you could be stuck with another $759 bill.

You Are Guilty

About the only thing you might not be responsible for is if they are charging you late fees for their mistake. If it's just $759 of straight gas usage, you are going to have to pay, either now, voluntarily, or after they get a judgment against you in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">