• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GENERAL ASSISTANCE REPAY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

believer1064

last november I was living in Iowa. I had ended up in the hospital and in three days had racked up a $4,500 bill. I was so financially strapped I had to decide whether to pay my utilities, buy my medical supplies or eat. I had gotten to a point where I had to max out my credit cards just to try to keep a roof over my head. I applied for some general assistance to help pay on the hospital bill. $1,500 of it was paid by the county. At the time that I filled out the application, I was asked if I had any intentions of paying this money back. I said, when I could and as much as I could. They have been harrassing me for the last three of four months. Threatening me with legal action for defaulting on this loan. Until they started harrassing me, it was never called a loan. The person who I need to speak to is never in the office. She keeps sending me threatening letters telling me to contact her in so many days.
I have since relocated to Minnesota. I do have a job now where I can pay my living expenses. I have been working real hard to get all of my old debts payed off. I still have about $3,000 of the hospital bill to pay and I have recently started making small payments to them. I guess my question is; since I did not sign anything saying that I would definitly pay anything back in any specific time frame, does this county have any legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">