• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Geographical limits of Port of Discharge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paulinru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

On the 8th of April 2009 my cargo arrived in Riga Latvia from New York. My contact was to have my cargo delivered to St. Petersburg Russia.
My cargo did not arrive in the container that was stated on my bill of lading contract, when it arrived at the port of Riga.
Is the Port of Riga, Latvia in the geographical limits of the Port of Discharge in
St. Petersburg. It is stated on the contracted Bill of Lading that the Port of Discharge is St. Petersburg.
It is my understanding that the Port of Riga is not in the geographical limits due to Latvia being its own country. Am I correct in my understanding of the meaning of geographical limits?
I do have my cargo now, but I had to pay document fees to Latvia due to my cargo being shipped from Latvia instead of the USA.
I also had to have all the documents rewritten in Russia due to my documents did not match what was given to me before I left the USA to receive the cargo in Russia.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

Your questions are FAR too complex for a FREE online advice forum. Contact a local attorney who is familiar with Incoterms and international shipping.
Also, the KEY to your entire issue lies in the specific shipping terms providing in your contract (which also needs to be reviewed by the attorney).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">